Periodic Table of Elements

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by carlosdeandrade, 18 Oct 2013.

1. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Seeing as we talk so much about the ocean and it's trace elements, I have found this nifty interactive periodic table of elements. Get to know what you have in your tank,it will lead to greater success.

Dynamic Periodic Table

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Very nice. Thank you.:)

4. Zandy

Zandy

Thanks Carlos, looking at this table, i just have to wonder. If we really have to test true NSW there is so many traces of other elements that us as in the hobby dont even know about ( or test for). This just shows actually how wonderful mother nature is. :thumbup:

5. Baz

Baz

Thanks for the table. Now that I see this table... I am wondering if marine guys also have their tap water tested to determine what exactly comes from the treatment facilities?

With FW well for people wanting plants specifically, you need to do this to determine the PH, GH, KH etc. so you know what you are up against.

Is this necessary for marine seeing you use RO anyway?

6. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

Good question. Most guys use RO water, which is pure water.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2013
  7. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

I think this is where I feel I can put forward my knowledge and attention to detail.

Remember that ppm is the same as mg/liter, so 1 miligram is 1*10^(-3) grams, in words, 1 multiplied by ( 10 to the power of minus 3). minus 3 because 1 and 0.001, shift of 3 figures with respect to decimal point.

Ok, for you avid readers, 1ppm can be 0.998859mg/liter of vice versa, 1mg/liter is 1.001142303ppm. so the ratio is pretty much 1:1......

input "=sum(1*10^-3)" into an excel cell, not trying to be a poet.....

It should give you 0.001, so 1mg =0.001g

when dosing calcium hydroxide that is 99.9% pure or above, medical or research grade etc, whichever you prefer or acquire......basically means the actual white cocaine like powder can be assumed to relate to molar values at that percentage accuracy..... bear in mind.

Ca(OH)2 that 2 is subscript, so when Ca hydroxide dissolves in water, it dissolves, meaning the Ca and the OH disassociate and become 1 times Ca+2 cation(positively charged thing), and 2 times OH-1 anions (negatively charged stuff) all dissolved in water, or RO water, whatever, this is an ideal theoretical scenario.

A load of Ca+2 cations and twice the amount OH anions. Awesome this helps so much and makes sense!!!...........bear with me...........

Ca(OH)2 (arrow towards right) turns into Ca+2 and 2XOH,

OH is hydroxide, one hydrogen and one oxygen, this boosts Ph temporarily but HCO3- is carbonate, the buffer we are all after......none in calcium hydroxide, clue is in the name.......

Look back at your periodic table, the molar mass for Ca is 40.078, so skipping alot of matric or in my case A-level, chemistry.........40.078g of pure calcium make up one mole of Ca

A mole....a mole?!!!?? not the animal.....complete terror to most who detest chemistry or namely stoichiometry.

Easy answer, a mole of something is like a marble of it, some marbles are bigger, take up more volume or are more dense but theyre all still marbles, 1 big marble and 100 small marbles is still 101 marbles.

how does this help? well for every mole of Ca(OH)2 added, which is a big marble, it makes 1 mole of Ca+2 and 2 OH.

So one mole of Ca(OH)2 is 40.078 +(1.008+15.999) X 2 which is 74.092 relative formula mass units, or grams.

Therefore, for every 74.092grams of calcium hydroxide you add, you are adding 40.078g of Ca+2, that is if everything dissolves.

40.078g of Ca is (40.078 times 1000) milligrams of calcium.

40078mg's of calcium. ppm is Mg per liter right?

40078mg of calcium divided by your tank volume in liters, gives the amount of calcium in ppm, your aquarium will increase in Ca+2 if you add 74.092grams of calcium hydroxide powder if the purity is 100% and it mixes completely and ideally.

Excel users; "=SUM((variable*(74,098/40,082))*(1*(10^3)))" gives you the amount in milligrams or ppm of calcium you are adding, "variable" which you replace with amount of calcium hydroxide used in grams, dont forget the decimal is sometimes a comma in excel.

If its an RO solution, just divide the value by your tank volume, thats how much your Ca level will increase.

In an ideal situation

Now heres the fun part, do the same with potassium iodide, strontium chloride and others.

The power of the periodic table...................

What Ive said is entirely theoretical and you should never add any amount of chemical concentrate at a rapid rate to an aquarium without accurate testing and an ideal situation is 99.9% chance of impossible, and likely within an error of 9%.

This is by no means published material and the practical theory should by no means be implemented with the involvement of actual animals.
    Corrections can take place without notice.
    Play safe

Last edited: 20 Oct 2013
  8. Midnight Reefer

Midnight Reefer

Last edited: 20 Oct 2013
  9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade Thread Starter

Recent Posts