Perfect Water Quality?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by NitroNarcer, 20 May 2013.

1. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer

Hi guys and girls

I have had my marine tank for about 5 months now. I have a regular 90cm tank with a Reef Octopus BH1000 HOB Skimmer and some live rock. The live stock I have in there is few cleaner shrimps and hermits, regal tang, 2 common clowns, royal gramma, lawnmower blenny and yellow tang.

The problem I am having is my water quality. I am using aquarium water and I have 2 sun sun wave makers in my tank. Im sitting with alot of brown algae on my sand as well as on my rocks. The coraline growing on the back of my tank is not that pink it is more a brown pink. My water also has a brown tinge to it.

I am going to add a sump but I want to know what will provide the most effective filtration, maintain the best water quality and keep my parameters stable?

I know that I will be running a Reeftek TS2 but not sure if I should go liverock, ceramic rings, bioballs, refugium, chemical media?

Please any advise will be appreciated.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. the fish

the fish

can go LR or DSB. both very effective. personally. i like LR sump more because bacteria settles in faster. also welcome to the forum. please try stay away from ceramic rings and bioballs. traps in the bad stuff. even though its a good place for bacteria to grow and live in

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

First, you got too much livestock for that size tank and the current filtration capabilities. OK, depending on the tang sizes.

What is the size of the Regal and Yellow tang? They should be house minimum in a 1.2, preferably a 1.5m tank. They grow rather fast and will be out of space soon.

Is the tank drilled?

The yellow in the water is due to no skimmer taking out dissolved organic compound.

Depending on what size sump you are planning to add, I cannot really say what filtration option to use. But I like a DSB and refugium combo. But for that you need space. Else Orca cubes is good, if you are seriously space limited.

5. NitroNarcer

NitroNarcer Thread Starter

@the fish. Thank you very much. So is it ok if I have live rock in my sump and main tank? What is the rule of thumb for DSB or is it better to use a refugium?
    @RiaanP. The regal is about 3-4cm and the yellow is abotu 5-7cms. They not too big and I am looking to get a bigger tank in the near future. We doing renovations at my place and should be done soon and then I will switch over to a 1.2m. (Already got it). It is not but will have someone come in and drill it for me, from what I hear it is not too difficult. I will be going for a 90cm sump but not sure on what to add and how many compartments to have.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

You dindt mention if you are running any Carbon or phosphate media ??

7. the fish

the fish

you can have both in the display and in the sump. doesn't matter. the more LR the better. @RiaanP will be able to give you a lot more info on DSB as he is the master of it:lol:

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Is that a standard 1.2m Daro tank, a 4 foot?

Can be changed easily into a marine tank, just get it drilled and build an overflow.
    Used to have such a setup a while back. And I used an old standard Daro 3 foot tank as sump. The TS2 skimmer or any other similar size would do.

Had a DSB in the middle, as BIG as possible. I did run the sump water level as deep as possible, so I could utilize the space above the sand as a refugium. That setup my DSB was 33% of the display footprint. Running slightly under stock with good skimmer and the DSB would work. Secret is in the flow rate over the DSB, do not want any settlement on the sand, neither blow the sand away.
    [​IMG]
    The standard 4 foot stand just just fits over a 3 foot tank, just move the brace to the back.

Last edited: 20 May 2013
  9. NitroNarcer

@jacquesdp08. I am not running either.
    @TheFish. Fantastic. Ive got about 50 kgs. @RiaanP. Its a standard built tank from my LFS. The 1.2m will be my display tank. Just waiting for the tiling to be done because I will have to move the tank anyway. So it needs to remain undisturbed? What is the minimum depth of the DSB? How many centrimetres? Can I keep the LR and Chaeto in there as well?

10. the fish

the fish

DSB between 120mm and max of 150mm if not mistaking.

11. the fish

the fish

50 kg of LR is more than enough for that system. :thumbup:

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

150mm deep for the sand.
    Water level above sand as deep as possible without drowning the skimmer. Can raise the skimmer onto a stand if needed.
    One live rock piece for housing quarters for the copepods.
    And yes, can keep cheato there as well, that is why I prefer it as deep as possible.

13. NitroNarcer

Then that sounds great. I see certain tanks which have crystal clear water and I want that. Whats your take on chemical filtration like denitrate and phosguard?

14. NitroNarcer

So the DSB will be able to act as a breeding ground as well. Awesome. What will that department do though? Will it remove nitrates and phospates? Will it give me clearer water? Also what happens if the DSB is disturbed?

15. the fish

the fish

you will have a bit of a dust storm in the tank:lol:. the way I see it, is that in nature there is no such thing as mechanical filtration. only mechanical filtration is the skimmer that is a necessity. any other reactors and things like that takes the natural feel away.

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

A DSB can take anything from 6 weeks to 3 months to be operational. Depending on how you seeded it. And yes, it takes care of both nitrates and phosphates. But as any other living organism, it does depend on other factors, like flow rate, bio-load, overfeeding etc.

Clear crystal clear water, not really, that depends more on a good quality skimmer than anything else. Ozone do help in getting clearer water, but as a newbie, rather check out ozone later.

And leave the sand bed alone. No need to dig in it, or have critters digging in it. Yeah a small hermit or 2 can be beneficial, depending on hermit size and DSB size.

Other options like NP-pellet reactor gets online quicker than a DSB. And Orca cubes even faster. But a DSB is the cheapest option to start with. Read up, and see which option will fit you and your husbandry routine.

17. NitroNarcer

@the fish. So it wont have a negative effect in the tank at all? Nitrate spikes or anything like that? @RiaanP. I will ensure that there is minimal flow but it has enough space for a piece of live rock and some chaeto. So with the skimmer, if I get a insump how should I run it? Wet or dry? Which is going to clear the water better? I will let it be a breeding ground for my tanks food supply and thats it. Dont want anything fiddling in there. Finances is not too much of a problem, I really want crystal clear water and minimal spikes and bad water quality. I will read up on more and see which will be best.

18. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

Thats one reason why you have yellow water, becasue there is no Carbon..

If you want better water quality just use Carbon and or Phosphate media with it..

If you want to increase you Filtration go for DSB. but i will still run carbon no matter what..

19. the fish

the fish

@NitroNarcer on that size system the only time the nitrates will spike is with the cycle and maybe a big die off of fish. the larger the system is the more stable it will run for you at the end of the day.

on the skimmer. everyone has their own opinion. prefer skimming dry to wet as it help not losing to much water in the system. other like it wet again but you obviously will do more top-ups than normal. i think both is a win win situation. it comes down to what you feel at the end works the best for you.

also on the DSB like Riaan said. minimal could cause things to settle on the surface and that should be avoided. but thats where some people like to add a hermit or 2 to maybe clean it off. if going with a DSB the sand should be clean as possible on the top.

20. NitroNarcer

@jacquesdp08. How should I run carbon? Does it need to be put in direct water flow? Such as the inlet to the sump? Or can it be located where the water is just flowing through them? @the fish. My total tank volume with a sump will be about 180 - 200 litres so I hope it will be fairly stable. Is there a difference between the 2 types of skimming apart from the amount of water is being replaced? Ok that could work, maybe add 2 blue legged hermits or snails?

21. the fish

the fish

i think if im not mistaking dry skimming removes more waste than wet skimming. with the crabs i will put bluelegs in main display. to pretty to keep in a sump. try if possible get yellow legs for the sump

Recent Posts