Perfect Dsb ???

I believe the best way is going "KISS"...keep it simple stupid..(not me...that's the LINGO..:p)
9114c931c5a4c297.jpg

BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
That should be the foundation...basic 3Chamber...you can obviously deviate...:)

Hahaha! Good was thinking bout the same! Just not sure if I need n kind of filter media???

And Im busy with that coast to coast overflow

That DSB will be less than half the size, I've still seen smaller in terms of ratio to the display.

Problem is adding fish increases the bio load and will upset the apple cart so to speak. Therefore to counteract that, the "sump" needs to be engineered to combat this. If space is limited, then you invariably end up supplementing with the likes of phos/nitrate reducing pellets, media, etc.

If you patienct enough, and with lots of water testing...you can find out that tipping point, where u find your DSB (alone) is not effective. Then you will be forced to add, other forms of filtration methods.

Besides a DSB...what is your plans in combating nitrate and phosphates? nutrient exporting?

Last edited:
The smallest DSB footprint in relation to display tank I had was 33%. And it was successful. Obviously I did not overstock. But I do feed a bit heavy. No green algae or cayno.

But bigger is better.

DSB is 15cm deep. How deep do you want the water to be above the sand. Anything from 50mm up can work. Adee run with 50mm. Mine is 250mm. Advantage of extra depth is that you can use that "wasted" space above the sand as a refugium. Disadvantage is that most likely your skimmer will drown. Can always lift the skimmer on stands, providing you have enough space between skimmer and the stand underside.

You should aim for a good strong flow across the DSB. At least 6 to 10mm water depth between the top of the overflow and the actual water level. The head height of your overflow. Your sump is 400mm wide, so aim to get a pump that delivers at least 2700L/h at the height of your display tank. After taking head height loss into account.

The return chamber should be big enough to hold at least 2 days evaporation. Easy to calculate. Take complete system volume and on average evaporation is 10%. Divide by 7, multiply by 2. That is the minimum volume the return chamber must be able to hold ABOVE your return pump, do not want to run the pump dry.

Increasing they height of your dividers also increase the return chamber volume. Just be careful that you do not increase too much. Your sump must still be able to hold your excess water in case the power goes out.

I would first get my skimmer. Fit it and see how much space is really needed. 350mm sounds a bit too much. Also the return chamber could be smaller. Providing you go for higher dividers. So you could fit a bigger DSB.

When buying sand, take a look at garden centres that supply compost and top soil. Some also sell playsand. Just a lot cheaper than Reggies and just as dirty.

If you can fir an ATU and RO container. Do it. Again, the RO container should be able to keep enough RO for you to go away over a weekend. So the same calculation as for return chamber minimum volume.

RO container can be anything. Can be under the tank with your sump, as long as you can get to it to fill it up. Can be behind the tank or next to. Depends on your setup.

Ok thank Riaan I'll get the skimmer this weekend then I'll work from there. If my deviders are 350mm. My sand will be 150 and water flow over the sand 200 wil it work?

yes, that would still give you extra 50mm catch area for excess water when the power goes out.

Just check the skimmer height. And if it can fit under the stand if it is on a stand. If needed.

hey guys, sorry to jus barge in like this... but is 20mm good enough for the return pipes? looking at similar dsb setup for my tank... thanks

but is 20mm good enough for the return pipes?
depends on the return pump rating.

But should be OK for 4000L/h and less.

Back
Top Bottom