Perfect Anemone Home

Discussion in 'Anemone's' started by deepblue, 30 Mar 2010.

1. deepblue

deepblue

Hi Brenda :wave2:

1. What would be your idea of a perfect home for nennies? I know that the first thought that comes to mind is the OCEAN :p

2. And what type of anemone would be the prime candidate best suited for a aquarium?

Tank Size? (Minimum)
    Lightning?
    Flow?
    etc etc

Thanking you in advance!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

Differant species have differant requirements, lights, flow etc, but all do need large mature tanks.

4. deepblue

deepblue Thread Starter

hence my question which one would be the best suited for a aquaruim (Success Rate)

5. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

any nennie

a good beginner anemone is a bubble tip anemone or BTA. most clowns will take to them but do the research, nennies in general need metal halide lighting to do well but BTA and i think the rose anemone can do well under t5's or PC's in smaller tanks. Most anemones need perfect water quality and at least a 55gal tank, some nennies grow to about a meter across. my .malu is the size of a large dinner plate. give them medium flow, pointing a powerhead or whatever directly at the anemone is actually a tecnique used if you want the anemone to move. Also remeber they can and will move to a spot they like in the tank. hope that helps

6. deepblue

deepblue Thread Starter

Thanks for the info deadmeat2016 :)

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No powerheads inside the tank. To be absolutely on the safe side.
    CLS systems are the better option.

BUT, be sure that the inlet of the CLS cannot suck the anemone in as well. Must have a suitable stainer over the inlet or any method to be 100% sure that you can not suck the anemone in. If it can happen, it will.

Preferably no shrimps or hermits that will steal the food out of the anemone's mouth.

Descend light. Depending on type. RBTA can do with T5 only. Most other go with MH.

Most clowns only go with certain anemones. Do your research first. Only one anemone per tank, unless it is clones. Big tanks can have 2. But then you must run carbon to reduce the effect of the chemical warfare. But it is still better to only have one.

Some anemones like to be planted in the sand, others on rock. So make sure.

Generally shallower tanks are better. You have to feed it, and it needs proper light. No use it is in a 800mm deep tank. Then you need 400W MH. ouch. And you must feed it, so must be able to get to it.

8. Anemone

Anemone

Hi Deepblue!

Sorry I didn't get to you sooner! I've had a hectic day! I had a unexpected seahorse delivery that I was NOT prepared for. All of my equipment and food was 30 minutes away.

The best beginner, most forgiving hosting anemone is the BTA, as stated.

Lighting depends on tank size. I prefer T5, but MH is also a good choice. PC can be acceptable, depending on the tank depth. However, I would stay away from PC.

As far as flow, you don't want the BTA to be blasted, but you want the tentacles gently moving in the water.

As for the tank size, bigger is better. Stay away from nano's until you are more familiar. A 55 gallon is a good choice. The more water volume the better!

The tank needs to be mature. One year old is best. This gives you time to get familiar with water parameters, research anemone, and get comfortable with your tank.

9. deepblue

deepblue Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback :thumbup: will do some reading and congrats with the little ones must be hard work raising them successfully :16:

Recent Posts