Urgent help needed Percula Clownfish Illness or other

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Jaco Schoeman, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

I found my Percula Clownfish this weekend floating as if on a trans inside its' torch coral. Then I saw a yellow/white bubble on the righthand side, just behind the Perctoral fin. The fish is still swimming, eating, chasing the damsels and does not seem ill. It's color is a bit dull, not the bright orange it is supposed to be.

I think it may be one of two things:
    1) Either it may have cauliflower disease, but this looks more like a bubble, not so much the fungus type cauliflower.

2) A mantis or pistol shrimp might have taken a shot at it. I know about a pistol in the tank, but not a mantis.

What is your thoughts? What should I do? Copper medication is a no-go.;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Bump, please help a brother out here... ;)

4. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Not sure I can totally help, but it sounds like we have similar problems. And I think it is Torch related.

My clowns seem to be hosting in my Torch coral more than they used to lately...by this I mean before they would swim near the Torch and only hide in it if something startled them, where as now they seem to spend a lot of time swimming in it and have even moved from sleeping at night in the top corner of the tank to sleeping in the Torch itself. I have now noticed over the past few days that they have gotten white marks on them, are paler than usual and actually have frayed ends to their tails and fins. As all parameters are in check and all my other fish are fine, I have come to the conclussion that the sting of the Torch is maybe irritating them and causing this result, which may be the same problem you are having as well. Something to maybe look into?

5. Jaco Schoeman

Hmmm, that is something yes. I have also noted my clownfish sucking on the tentacles of the torch, as if grasping on it. I wounder if he didnt swallow a tentacle and got stung from the inside. :whistling:

Another interesting thing is my dad had two tomato clowns hosting in a torch (the mother colony of the one I have) and they had no ill effects.

Could a torch sting be worse than that of a nennie?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Possibly, but clownfish have a form of protective coating over their bodies (I forgot the correct name or terminology for this) which protects them from their host anemone, as far as I know different clownfish have different forms of this protective layer dependant on the type of anemone that hosts them. I doubt this will protect them from any other coral species so I guess it is possible for the Torch to be harmful to them, not really sure. I think I can remember reading somewhere as well that if a clownfish ingests any part of an anemone that it can be harmful to them as their only protection against an anemone is the covering on the outside of their body. But then again it could be totally unrelated to the Torch.

7. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I am not all that clued up with regards to anemones but I was going to say I have heard the same thing. Not that the Torch has a more potent sting, but rather a different type. As Viper said, the clowns have a coating against the sting of their host anemone and as far as I am led to believe it does not protect them that thoroughly against coral stings. I am sure most of us that have clowns that host in corals will notice black patches that form on them, these are from the stings of the host coral.

8. Jaco Schoeman

Just to report back on this: the clown is healed and still being host by the torch coral. There is a scar where the "burn" was, but now my Nemo really has a lucky fin...

9. mnd123

mnd123

Jaco, my percula had exactly the same thing, I did think it was from the torch (which he also hosts in) and that he was too dumb to realise it.

All healed up now, and still in the torch

Recent Posts