Peppermint Shrimp job done - now what?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by red deacon, 19 Oct 2014.

1. red deacon

red deacon

Hi guys

I acquired a TL550 10 weeks ago from a member on this forum and have had a wonderful time with my new system. The only "hassle" I have had has been with Aiptasia, and I had 9 visible critters on my Live Rock, some as big as a 50c piece. To be honest I did not mind their presence initially but after researching their effect on corals ( I have a few SPS ) and their tendency to take over the tank if left unchecked, I decided to eradicate them. Chemical solutions did not appeal in such a small system so I decided to try out the Peppermint Shrimp route. Natural is mos better than chemical 99/100 times. I purchased a little bugger from Dorry's about 3 weeks ago and will admit to being highly sceptical about this guy being able to sort out the problem. After a seemingly slow start, the Aiptasia started disappearing and I now have no visible critters left. A job very well done. He has obviously been super successful as he has molted and discarded his entire shell in the last week.

Now here lies my dilemma. I never see this little guy at all during daylight hours and his commando attacks most certainly have occured at night. I have never seen him appear when I feed my system - this occurs between 6am and 7am and again at between 5pm and 6pm. I never overfeed and to the best of my ability ensure that there is no left over food after feeding. I am now worried that if the Aiptasia is finished, that this little guy may starve to death. Can anyone give me advice on the situation please? Will this guy get food from an alternate source?

I would far rather capture the dude and donate/swop him with a fellow hobbyist with Aiptasia hassles than let this poor dude starve to death after the sterling job he has done. However if he will be comfortable in a Aiptasia "free" environment it makes sense to hold onto him and ensure that Aiptasia never reappears.

Last edited: 19 Oct 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Brendan6

Brendan6

Aiptasia is not the only meal they enjoy. He will be fine in your system.

red deacon likes this.
  4. red deacon

red deacon Thread Starter

Thanks Brendon, then stay he will. Because he is such a shy guy its difficult to monitor whether he is doing well or not

5. Brendan6

Brendan6

Cool mate. I had 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp and sexy shrimp in my TL550. No problems. One peppermint will have a jam.

6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

If there's not enough food it may start nibbling your corals

7. Ebi Omer

Ebi Omer

I don't mind taking it off your hands. I've got some apitasia i need to get rid of

8. 4age

4age

Keep it. .sometimes aptasia pops up again once u get rid of the aptasia predators

Recent Posts