Peninsula Rockpool tank project

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by LuckyFishNet, 21 Jan 2012.

1. LuckyFishNet

LuckyFishNet

Hi everyone,

it's my first time on Masa. I'm always excited, when I see the life in the rockpools. We are doing this rockpool project together.
    LuckyFish will do the technical side and I will join later when it comes to livestock.

Enjoy.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

4. LuckyFish

The aim to create a system, which is affordable to built and especially affordable to maintain.
    In our case, we use the tank we have standing around and do some modding to prevent that the water temperature rises to high in the tank. We want to keep the system going at around 16 to 18 degrees.

[​IMG]

5. LuckyFish

First thing to do, will be to cut the dividers, the bracing and the back pane out, which is the drilled one in the picture.
    From the bottom part of the back pane, I will get the new bracing, 220mm wide.
    The tank should look like this:

[​IMG]

6. LuckyFish

The next step will be to glue the front pane in. The front pane will an insulated pane. 10mm with a spacer and probably another 4 to 6mm pane as the real front pane. So through the front pane will hardly come any heat and therefore will be also no condensation on the front pane.

[​IMG]

7. SteveZi

SteveZi

exciting so far:)

8. LuckyFish

Here is what it should look like, when the front pane is in. Actually like a normal tank, just with an insulated front pane.

[​IMG]

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Interestin Marcel going to be an awesome build. Tagging along

10. LuckyFish

Now the tank itself has to be insulated.

[​IMG]

11. LuckyFish

Obviously it would be a waste of money to use an insulated front pane, when the tank stays open.
    The lid has be sealed very well. Otherwise there will be to many condensation points along the lid.
    I will bring up silicone around the top (black in the drawing). While the silicone is still wet, I will put the lid on. The lid will be an insulated glass pane as well. The part of the lid that will lay onto the silicone will be brushed with vegetable oil. When the silicone is cured, I can remove the lid as the oil does not bond to the silicone. Now I should have a perfect seal!

[​IMG]

12. Dane

Dane

Very impressive Marcel :) As always the German technical aptitude is shining through! :)

13. LuckyFish

That would be then the "closed" tank. The lid I can take off for feeding, etc.

[​IMG]

14. Bluemotion

Bluemotion

Tagging allong, realy interesting

15. LuckyFish

And here with the lights on top. The light will reach the tank inside, but not the heat of the lights.

[​IMG]

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I think you might have to redesign the lid. Youll need to feed the anemones rather often and removing the entire lid the whole time might become a pain.

17. LuckyFish

What do you mean with rather often? Once a day taking the lid off shouldn't be a problem. I think I will use 2 x 4mm glass as it is just a lid.

18. Myn

Myn

Very nice build. Every one has their own opinion when it comes to this kind of build. I would leave the top open as with a colder tank the cooler air coming up from the water makes its own protective layer from the hot air outside (as colder air stays down and hot air rises). Believe me a lid will become a drag if you have to remove it every time, been there done that on my old tank and removing the lid didn't make any difference in the time my chiller kicked in. What chiller are you planning on using? Also, what do you mean by condensation on top? You will only see condensation on very humid days (like today on my tank) and only on large panels if not insulated.

19. LuckyFish

The weight of the lid will be 26 kg. If it really becomes a pain, I will mount some hinges, which are used in kitchen cabinets, where the cabinet door lifts to the top.
    And I will not use a chiller. Condensation will take place where ever the warm room temperature can reach the cold glass. And that is what I want to avoid. For sure you can leave the tank open and let the chiller do his job. This project is meant to create an affordable system, which one can run with very little electricity.

20. Myn

Myn

I'm sorry but there is no way of keeping any tank at 16-18 degrees in summer without a chiller.

21. LuckyFish

Of course there is. I'm saying without a CHILLER. Meaning that expensive and power consuming thing. For sure, I am going to use something cheaper, still power consuming thing, which can maintain the temperature with an affordable Eskom total!

It is all about affordable and cheap to maintain.
    Buying top notch equipment and not caring about the Eskom bill is a very easy way to run a cold water tank. Everybody with a fat wallet can do it.
    I want to create an affordable system, where we all can gain experiences from. And somebody who can afford a DIY marine system, can afford a cold water rockpool tank.
    I'm talking strictly about hardware here.

BTW, nice to know that you are thinking of how the crazy german will make it possible without a chiller. Electricity input is needed for cooling, but first thing is to avoid a temperature rise, because of lights, sun, ambient temperature, pumps, etc. There where the efficiency comes in.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
Recent Posts