Peace of mind aquarium silicone - Where? :(

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by rudig_masa, 17 Jan 2013.

1. rudig_masa

rudig_masa

Hey guys

I am busy disassembling Dallas's 2m tank and I need aquarium-safe silicone as the tank is going to my brother and I couldn't sleep at night knowing I didn't do everything I could to prevent a leak.

I bought 1 tube of Bostik Marine silicone, but after doing more reading, it seems that this is "consumer-grade" and not "industrial" (something to do with the adhesive strength being much lower in the "consumer-grade").

Den Braven only sell in 24 packs and I have never found them on the shelf of any hardware stores (even though many people claim they got theirs from Builders Express, etc.).

Please, guys, let me know if someone wants to sell a few tubes (4-5) of Den Braven (clear/black) or Dow Corning 781.

Or let me know if you have seen it for sale at reasonable prices in Jhb.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

stay away from Dow Corning..

Stick (he he) to Bostic Marine or Den braven

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i have used bostik for ages due to not getting den braven, but never on a large tank, so den braven is better option

5. leslie hempel

I used 35 tubes of bostik marine clear on a 3m x 1m x .800 tank.. its still standing today almost 7 years later!

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Bostic Marine at Chamberlains is under R40 a tube.
    Paid R38.16 yesterday

7. rudig_masa

rudig_masa Thread Starter

Thanks for the info everyone! :)
    @dallasg

I'll put it on nice and thick. This way the silicone will have more surface area to adhere to.
    Will also add bracing to the base and Euro-bracing for added insurance.
    @RiaanP
    Got 1st tube from Checkers @ R41. Another 3 today from Builders Warehouse in Edenvale for R33 (Builders Express Greenstone by "Wild on Pets" was the same).
    @leslie hempel
    I now have 4 tubes...which seems way too little in comparison to your 35 tubes. Wow! 35?!
    I thought I'd get by easily with 4 on the 2m x 0.6m x 0.6m. Please let me know if I'm mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. leslie hempel

I would budget for 8 - 10 tubes for that size tank, I like thick seams and a sturdy construction. The tank needs to last at least 10 years after all.

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

thing is you waste a lot. And once it is spread and you use that nice blue thingygebob to make the nice, the silicone that you remove cannot really be reused. Within a couple of minutes it forms something like a skin. So you tend to apply a lot, remove a lot when cleaning is smoothing it down, and throwing a lot away.

10. Trasique

Trasique tahir

wots wrong with Dow Corning @Leslie Hempel

Last edited: 17 Jan 2013
  11. rudig_masa

@ RiaanP

The waste from smoothing out all the corners could be minimised by adding the bracing immediately?

Or does @leslie hempel recommend 8-10 tubes without bracing?

I'll take some photos when I put the tank together again. Still taking the tank apart and struggling with a few parts at the short CTC overflow side (angled baffles are a PITA to remove). Got some fishing line from Builders :) Hope it does the trick.

12. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

I saw tubes of clear bostic marine going for R26 at builders down in Glenvista.

13. leslie hempel

i like to build the tank in stages so as not to compromise the structural integrity of the tank by applying unnecessary pressures which can loosen or potentially damage bonded areas..

so i assemble the basic structure and then leave it for the day returning the next to cut out any excess glue to start the next phase.. bottom bracing...

i prefer to do this this way to give me 100% piece of mind that im not going to get a call from somebody telling me that the tank is leaking...

a leak imo is worse than a crack... i have had 2 instances in almost 20 years of constructing tanks where i have had tanks pop.. and they were essentially new designs which werent proven and we took a chance under the assumption it would work..

so my 8 - 10 tubes suggested is including bracing...

I think essentially between 2 and 3 tubes will be waste but it is worth it for a neat and structurally sound finished product...

use and old tape measure to cut old glue apart.. but first use a stanley knife or carpet blade to remove the inner seal and then the tapemeasure between the bonded glass joint..

be careful as the tape does snap from time to time and it can cut your fingers.. apply even presssure when pulling the tape downwards even wedging a carpet blade just behind the sseam you are cutting to make life a touch easier for the tapemeasure to cut through the glue without being squinched by the glass...

be careful at all times as glass is inpredictable

good luck.. i look forward to your progress.. please @tag me when you upload pics of your build ;)

AcidHawk likes this.
  14. leslie hempel

i tried some tanks with the black.. and it pulls apart after a few years.. its actually more used as a gasket seal where pressure is applied against it in a frame it presses against rather than to hold a glass tank together as we know it..

i was shocked when it pulled apart aswell as i had researched it well and found a tank building company using it overseas at the time i build these tanks and Den braven was scarce, i have looked into other brands such as soudal to name one..

i have also spoken to my friend who is the MD at ABE who sells Dow corning down here and he has come back with a statement from Dow corning (when i researched why their product failed) that Dow Crning will not gaurantee their product in situations where it is used for full time imersion in water...

and so we learn..

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Leslie said what I wanted to say.

I got one old stuffed up tape measure. That I slide in between the panes. Its thinner than a blade and can handle being pulled to a side as where a blade would snap.

But yeah, its sides can cut you easily without you realizing due to the grip you put on it. Later you just see blood marks everywhere and then it is too late. Been there done that. Using a small piece of cloth on both sides of the tape as handles do help. But the cloth is also more in the way, slips and bothers me.

Anyway - good luck.

16. leslie hempel

Yep careful and slowly.. people dont realise how dangerous stripping a tank can be, especially if its 10mm and up as you tend to "bend" the glass while applying pressure to create space for blades..

You need to be concious of what you are doing at all times and be wary of a blade or your hand slipping..

17. rudig_masa

Bleak! :(
    I cracked the base :(

Sorry @dallasg

Got up this morning 5:30 to finish the tank. Soldiered on up til 9:30 in the pouring rain.
    I had all the panes apart except for one long side and the base. When I had my blade 1/3 through the silicone the base cracked :(

Fml. :(

I'll try to salvage the piece for a 60cm cube project, but this is a big set back for me, as the quote I got from Unity Glass Works in Primrose is R2900 for a 12mm 2000x600 plate.
    I'm trying to find a quote from Rene Turck from last year, but something tells me this project is on hold until next month.
    @leslie hempel
    Thks for the interest. I'll keep you posted when the project picks up again.

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Eish

19. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Damn, that sucks!

20. leslie hempel

Rene Turk have just sent me notification of price increase so better get your glass soon ;)

21. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear, will get a price on Monday , strange that it cracked
    But will help sort it, we will get on track:yeahdude:

Recent Posts