PE Fish Farm...your views?

Discussion in 'Diving, Collecting and Environmental Discussions' started by Kunhardt, 20 Oct 2014.

1. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I came across a post and link on Facebook today urging people to protest the development of a proposed fish farm in Port Elizabeth.

Home - Stop PE Fish Farm

I know fish farming makes sense in concept and is done on a large scale everywhere else in the world, but this seems to be something that has really got a lot of the locals in PE upset...talk of water pollution, attracting sharks on a large scale, destroying the reefs...as well as surfers worrying about it ruining their waves are concerns that were brought up.

I must admit I do not know enough about the topic myself to be pro or against it, so thought I would see what others who are more knowledgeable on the subject have to say about it?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

I think I am mostly pro fish farms.....especially if they are done in a manner that is not massively polluting the enviroment....

What choices do we really have for the future. current fishing methods cant be sustained for much longer.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

It's worthwhile in the long run. People are far to quick to complain about things they don't know about. If they stopped making up stories about ruining their waves and looked at the facts they would see all the positives a sustainable fish farm would bring to the town. One always hears about only buying aquacultured fish and protecting our oceans, but every time a company proposes a farm the uninformed locals need to complain. I have seen farms, which would have brought in millions closed because a few locals were too ignorant to read the facts.
    If they don't want a fish farm, they must stop eating fish.

5. archiecrain

archiecrain

Just an ad on. If we pump our own sewerage into the ocean, wether right or wrong then waste from a fish farm is the least of our worries, again wether right or wrong.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2014
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

that artist impression of what the fish farms will look like at 2km...

But I did see the 50/50 clip, and the shot back to shore from the rubber duck 2km out you can just see the big buildings. Just make them out. They should put one farm out there and ask the people to show it out with the naked eye.

7. Carter-PE

Carter-PE

I don't know much about the topic, but I think one of the big issues of the fish farm in PE is that people are scared it will attract more sharks into the bay which will impact the Ocean Racing Series (swim) but more importantly, the annual Iron Man race. With the Iron Man race being international, it does have a significant impact on the local economy.

Just my 2c

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt Thread Starter

I'm pretty much with you on this one. Although the more I have read up on this topic the more it seems there are pro's and cons to it...the question I guess is - will they use natural feeding methods to feed the fish? And if not to what extent will the pollution by feeding non natural foods have on the area as well as effects on the natural order of things in the ocean?

But would PE not generate more income from the fish farm than from the Ironman which only takes place 1 day a year. :m54:

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

how deep is the ocean there at 2km out? Nets are 15 meter deep. Obvious its of no good if sharks can get into the nets and eat your stock. So that is not the problem. Fish congregating around and under the net eating food that drops through the feeding frenzy inside the net. They can attract more sharks.

But with strong current and deeper water, wasted food will be washed away some distance.

10. Courtney99

Courtney99

Gave this some thought last night,

I am very pro fish farming,just imagine if we still had to hunt our food in the wild or take our own veggies out of the veld. There would be nothing left in one week! So it just makes sense that we stop taking the fish out of the sea and start farming them large scale and only using only what we produce to give the oceans a fighting chance.

I cannot remember anyone going " its horrible driving through the Freestate because of all those mielies" or "those damn sheep are ruining the karoo".

What I could not find out though was the kind of fish they would be farming,and what impact they would have on the already pressured waters and what pathogens may be introduced?

And what will they be feeding them,if its ground up fish from another pressured source then I don't quite follow the logic of sustainable fish farming?Or are they going to farm those fish too?

I do have a bad experience with fish farming though,

My favorite little fishing spot was converted into a tilapia farm and it messed that pond up royally,there is no more water plants,the fish population has been fluctuating like crazy and the water is now a yukky green with algae....but the owner is an ignorant,stupid,arrogant twit.

Do you guys think we could have caring,intelligent and responsible fish farm owners? If yes then i think this is great,no?,well then we should all go and sign that petition...ASAP!

Just my rant for the day

11. Ricky W

Ricky W

Got this topic on *** as well. Its a good idea in the wrong spot. Firstly it will rule out us having the iron man which brings in alot more money for pe than the farms will. Secondly at 2km out its not even 15m deep and directly over our reefs, which are breeding grounds for alot of fish. Thirdly at 2km out you can see the shoreline quite clearly and personally I would rather watch whales in the bay than fish farms. If tgey moved it to the other side between tge harbour and swartkops it would b fine. It would b over sand and no reefs affected and it doesn't look that pretty there any way. As for the sharks well they are always around so don't think it will really make a difference.

12. Ricky W

Ricky W

Haha you guys beep out other sites. Lol

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That was my question. How deep is it 2km out? Seems the other site around the corner is too close to the MPA area. That was why they decided against that.

14. Ricky W

Ricky W

I go out fishing there and normally it is only around 9 to maybe 15m

Recent Posts