paul g w

Reaction score
my rock is getting 1-2mm bubbles forming on them. There are also bubbles on the glass whereever there is fine algae.Is this a problem as i rub them off and they form again in a day

Last edited:
Welcome to MASA Paul:wave2:It could possibly be photosynthesis and oxygen bubbles being caught up. Post a pic so that we can have a look;)Please tell us more about your setup and post some pics for us:)Cheers

welcome Paul.

what color algae is around the bubbles ?

hello paul, welcome to masa:)

nice to have you posting and telling us a little about your system.

perhaps you could give us a little more info and maybe we can help detirmine what causes the formations of those bubbles?

How long has the system been running? What sort of internal flow do you have in there and I am assuming there is no air stone or bubbles from a return pump?

welcome to masa and happy postings:)

I have a 600l tank been running 8 months. 50 kg live rock (coral) ans coral peices in the mini reef system. Good skimmer from Marco, replacing my Tunze as I felt that was too small. Bubbles are on green and red algae which is not long or too plentiful. The bubbles are shiny (almost silver). Can get a pic tomm

I have a 600l tank been running 8 months. 50 kg live rock (coral) ans coral peices in the mini reef system. Good skimmer from Marco, replacing my Tunze as I felt that was too small. Bubbles are on green and red algae which is not long or too plentiful. The bubbles are shiny (almost silver). Can get a pic tomm

sounds like it might be cynobacteria? as a stab in the dark. if you direct one of those tunze (great pumps:)) at it, what happens. If it gets stripped away its mots likely cyno bacteria and thats often an indication of high Nitrates. Have you done water tests recently?

600l system running for 8 months, sounds like a gem, care to give us a little more info?

what are its dimensions (length, height and width) do you have a corner over flow or central? do you have any substrate in there and if so what?

which tunze pumps do you have by the way?

i see u are also a durbanite, we have lots of memebers from drbs in here, maybe you should join some of their reef meets? chat to Andreas or mekaeel :)

direct air flow from my seio 820 removes the bubbles as does a fine brush.
tank is approx 600x600x1500 with a corner overflow.substrate is 50-60mm of fine shell. Have just added seaweed from clean water from Sheffield beach durbs

Welcome to MASA

Welcome to MASA!!

masahello

direct air flow from my seio 820 removes the bubbles as does a fine brush.
tank is approx 600x600x1500 with a corner overflow.substrate is 50-60mm of fine shell. Have just added seaweed from clean water from Sheffield beach durbs
it could be a detritus buildup in the gravel if its crushed shells causing high nitrates and in turn your cyno and/or algae.

Back
Top Bottom