"Patching Tanks"

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DeanT, 18 Feb 2012.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi All
    i think i have been the most un lucky person ever
    i have taken over a second hand tank , that was setup and filled onsite , and was in perfect condition

moved it to my house , and has managed to crack in 2 different panes in the last 3 weeks, and what makes this even more bizarre , is that not even a drop of water has touched it , it is standing empty

even the company that i am dealing with is baffled at this scenario

anyway , we are patching the tank in the interim , to test and see if there are any other issues , before we go and replace the pane

any one had and using or have any comments on the patching of tanks , wheather good or bad.

i have committed to patching the tank to test , but dont like the idea in the long run
    thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Hi Dean I have tons and tons of sympathy for you. I had similar reoccurring sump cracks on more than one sump recently and know the feeling one gets when you start emptying a 4 ft sump at 11 in the night, repair it, keep the live rock going in buckets and all other containers.just to fill it and have another leak 24 hrs later. All I can say is hang in there and try to do the repairs as if it will be a permanent one. The temp ones comes back at you. Now I am waiting to see the photos you are going to post once your tank is up, running and blooming.:thumbup:

4. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

hey herkie
    thanks for the sympathy .
    really had a bad day yesterday , as was really looking forward to getting it up and running this week after weeks of delays
    this has probably been the most frustrating 3 weeks ever .
    i even joked about giving it all up before i had even started , but i guess i must push through it , as i know it will be worth it in the long run

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

where is the tank standing? is it on its stand? Or on what? Is it on a level structure?

Is it in a place that either is in a draft or gets direct sunlight? Sunlight could do it, as it gets heated unevenly. With water inside the glass cannot heat up on one side of the tank.

6. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Explain what you mean by patching?
    Without knowing the details, it sounds like a very bad idea to me.

Only way to repair a tank properly is cut out the cracked panels and replace them.

How about pics, it may help us to give you some proper advice.

Recent Posts