Particles shown in the Main tank

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by amador, 27 Sep 2009.

Voter count: 1
?

How do you rate this tank

1. Good

100.0%
  2. can make more better

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. amador

amador

Hello Guys...

I am a new bee. Basically I would like to have reef tank. So I wanted to go with FO, FOWLR and then my dream RT

I setup 450 liters (5lx2hx1.5w) Marin tank. I have added dead 3" DSB and some dead rocks and coral, which I presum dead rock may become live after some 5-6 months..

I mixed my water (tap water- filtered) with Red sea salt with salinity 1.022 and PH with 8.0. Its almost a week since the cycling process started.

And also, I have 4ft Sump (Old fresh water system converted into system-sump). I made four partitions.

1st partition 12"inch (Water (main tank to sump). Filled with Flos, bio balls again flos and cyramic rings.
    2nd partition 15"inch. placed Protiem skimmer
    3rd partition 12inh. Added some coral reef sand..say 3inch
    4th Partition. 6 inch. Power head (pumps water to main tank).

Now...

After adding salt I noticed there are some small particles (white) shown in the main tank.

While I was observing, I noticed that they are appearing after I switch on my protien skimmer, else wise if I swtich off the protien skimmer they are slowly disappearing after 2-3 hours.

I have also added some white floss in the the 4th partition just to break the air bubbles, in case they are but nevertheless they are not air bubbles.

I just wondering how to get rid of this small particles.:(

Do I need to change anything in the sump or do I need to place the Protien skimmer in the first partition.

Please find the images in the doc file and advise me.

I am online...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A VERY WARM WELCOME to MASA, Amador! Great to have you on-board!

To answer your question - please don't worry about small particles in your tank's water. There's "particles" will feed your corals one day.....

If you REALLY want to remove these "particles" - then add some filter wool to your tank's filtration system - but only for a short period of time - at a time..... And then replace it..... Shortly you will have "particle-less" water! ;)

4. amador

amador Thread Starter

Many thanks for your gentle response. Sure I will wait for watch for a while.

On the other side do you suggest on the system-sump or let shall I keep as it is.....

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

The sump seems to be ok. As long as you replace the filter flos in the 1st compartment regularly....
    (at least once every 2 weeks or so). The "white particles" could most LIKELY be caused by zoo- and phyto-plankton.......... which - as I said before - is formed by possible filter food............

6. Tony

Tony

Welcome to MASA. Try and get your DSB a little thicker to about 15cm

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

8. aslam

aslam

Hi,and welcome.

9. amador

amador Thread Starter

As mentioned. I left the cycling to happen. But I still can see. Raised the SG 1.025.

10. coral diver

coral diver

Welcome;
    As to your question the particulate are called micro bubbles that are produce by your skimmer, what I could recommend is if you constructed the sump add buffles after the skimmer section that will trap the bubble or try to reduce the skimmer air intake, I would also remove the bio ball and the ceramics and replace them with small live rock, and if you have an old working canister filter put carbon in it and use it as a carbon filter, hope this will help you.

Recent Posts