Parasites or whatever?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by snobee, 18 Apr 2008.

1. snobee

snobee

Hi there,
    I setup my tank about 7 weeks ago. Introduced Live Rock about 2 weeks after that. Finally I got 2 clowns and a white looking sea anemone (was in the tank at the pet shop with the clowns) a week ago. I have been busy the past few days and have not looked much at my tank. Tonight while I was looking closely, I suddenly saw a horde of what looks like parasites or tiny little brine shrimp thingies in the tank! They certainly don't look normal and I highly doubt these transparent little creatures are ok... help!

Regards,
    Kevin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. flappy

flappy

Hi there

It sounds like you are observing Copepods.
    Small very beneficial orginisms that provide food for the fish and welcome life into the tank.Dont stress....the more of these brine shrimp looking thingies,the better.

4. Galibore

Galibore Retired Moderator

Yip Snobee.

No worries there. They are good guys. They help eat uneaten foods and as flappy said, become food in turn.

As time goes by, you will discover more and more fascinating little creatures. You will more than likely discover a few types of worms, pods and mollusks. Most of which are beneficial.

5. snobee

snobee Thread Starter

Thanks guys! :)

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Snobee! Please create a new thread in our "New Members" section, introducing yourself, and posting some pictures of your tank, filtration, life-stock etc.....

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi there snobee. Please take extra care of your anemone, you say it is white? I presume your anemone is bleached (not a good sign unfortunately), it will need very strong lighting and supplemental feeding every 3 or 4 days for it to survive. You will observe a change in colour as it comes back to health, until then you need to monitor it closely to ensure it doesn't die.

Please provide us with a photo of the anemone if you can, just to confirm. Thanks :)

Recent Posts