Urgent help needed Parasites on Zebra Moray

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fischer, 20 Oct 2010.

1. Fischer

Fischer

Hi there

I was wondering what medication I can use for a Moray Eel with parasitic worms attached to its mouth and tail - I know Copper is not an option.

There are dozens of tiny black worms attached that are irritating the skin, leaving red dots where they have detached.

Any ideas?

Thanks...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mookz

mookz

Hi could you please post pictures, I have 4 moray eels and might be able to assist.

4. mookz

mookz

Moray eels do very well with hyposalinity, moray eels sometimes live/swim into lagoons, even very low salinity 1.009, this would be your best solution, they also tend to "re-adjust" to higher salinity quicker.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Not normally a good idea to recommend this but perhaps a cleaner wrasse will help? I've done a bit of searching but couldn't find anything about external parasitic worms.

6. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

thats the first thing i thought about,a natural method perhaps like the cleaner wrasse

7. magman

magman

I have just realised I been living with flukes for about two months (Dean, remember the queen), my emp must of also been carrying, but the emp spent so much time by the cleaning station, that it was almost undetectable, I thought it was maybe bits of WS. It was only when one of the clowns got bad (does not eat the foods that are laced with garlic and also the clowns do not use the cleaners), that I noticed flukes, I bet hundreds of tanks in the country are infested without guys knowing.

I been using a med specifically for flukes that can be dosed into the DT, but one other med that I came across and is available in SA is the Microbelift Herbtana, that can be dosed to the DT, and I believe it covers various parasites.

A cleaner helps, or at least hides the problem, but imo try beat it, try the Herbtana, I will be honest, I have not tried it, but from what I have read on MASA, the guys that have tried it have been happy with it. I was going to use it if I could not get the imported fluke meds. I might still run it after I done the fluke treatment.

8. magman

magman

Sorry, just re read my post and it makes it seam like I am saying you got flukes and must treat for flukes, (I mentioned it 5 times in the previous post), I was just saying my meds I used that can go into the DT that are not only for flukes:whistling:

9. mookz

mookz

+1

Cleaner wrasse will work, please post pics so I may see the eel, if it is a Zebra Moray it will be safe, in Cape Town the LFS sell Girdled Moray Eels (echidna polyzona) as Zebra Moray eels (Gymnomuraena zebra), The Girdled Moray will chow a cleaner, the Zebra will not.

10. mookz

mookz

Never dose directly into your DT, doesn't matter what they say on the packaging...it took me months to recover from dosing directly into my DT.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2010
  11. magman

magman

Absolute rubbish, kak, lots of meds are reefsafe, research before you dose

12. mookz

mookz

So you don't use a QT?

13. magman

magman

I did last time with an angel for the first time

14. Fischer

Fischer Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, but unfortunately at the LFS overdosed with Potassium Permanganate yesterday! Looked like anchor worms...they all came off but the eel didn't survive the treatment.

T*

Last edited by a moderator: 21 Oct 2010
  15. mookz

mookz

WHAT! ...... that must have been a terrible way to go....eels have very delicate breathing apparatus, and can easily be damaged by meds etc....*sigh*......May i ask the LF's name? or PM it to me please.

And please in future if you get a sickly eel use Hyposalinity treatment!

PS. Potassium Permanganate is known to be harmful to Moray Eels

Last edited: 21 Oct 2010
  16. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Microbelift Herbtana is a great med & reef safe I've used it with great results, I dosed into the sump though as I do with all the additives. Anyway I do agree with Mookz Hyposalinity would have been the safer option & I really hope your eel does not get affected by the Potassium Permanganate!!
    BOL

Recent Posts