Parameter stability sps

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Criggy, 5 Nov 2014.

1. Criggy

Criggy

Hi all -

Im wanting to move over to sps corals pretty soon but want to develop a method of keeping levels as stable as possible first.
    I understand to a degree how all of the elements work in relation to one another.
    I have been looking at perhaps using kalk in my ro chamber and using my ro motor to do top ups - I do not have anything monitoring ph constantly though so there is no fail safe there.
    I have also been exploring the idea of a triple doser for KH, calcium and magnesium.
    My goal is to start using a method that is cost effective as well as stable-

Any assistance or ideas would be really appreciated!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

well the best way to start is to use a doser and additives, simple and effective
    going with a carx has a larger outlay and you should use kalk with it to balance the ph

but then again it depends on your tank size, a carx is more effective and value for tank over 600L IMHO

4. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Kalk, put the top up pump on a timer and float switch.
    Airhose tap on the topup outlet, timer set at 15min on 30 min off intervals, at night only.
    You will get to a point where the kalk will struggle to keep up with consumption, but that will take a while, and gives you the opportunity to fine tune your system and save $$$.
    Once your kalk via ATU doesnt keep up, dont replace it, simply use a diser to make up the shortfall. Or, get a CARX and use the ATU with kalk to combat the downwards drive of pH by the carx

Last edited: 5 Nov 2014
  5. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

I did it just fine with a ATU and kalk. For temp I used my RA but a STC1000 for controlling heater and a fan is a very cheap alternative I use it on my holding & quarantine tanks

6. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

@irie ivan what do you mean by float switch? Can you describe the setup?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Im using stc for temp. How would i manage magnesium? Ideal levels of all to try balance sps, lps and softies?

8. irie ivan

How are you currently topping up to make up for evaporation loss?

9. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Auto topup

10. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Then you have a float switch already

11. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Ive used brightwell kalk+2 as it has magnesium & strontium

12. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Airhose tap on topup outlet?

13. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

My ATU runs through a kalk reactor but you dont have to have one you can just mix it into you RO reservoir

14. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

I hv a normal reef octopus atu. Pump in bucket of ro and pipe running from pump into my return chamber to dt. What is the purpose of the air hose tap? Is this to regulate flow? Does that kalk +2 add everything with the correct balance? If i were to do this would i need to dose anything else? Just waterchanges and dose kalk +2?

15. irie ivan

Air hose tap to slow flow down to steady drip, as this will minize risk of overdose and or precipitation.
    Mag can be managed via water changes, or via addition of a commercial Mg suppliment.
    Shouldnt need to dose that often.
    Brightwell kalk +2 is not going to add much (any) mg or Sr, as the self purifying nature of kalk will precipitate both Sr and Mg ;)

16. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Ok cool- do those small aru pumps handle their flow being restricted to dripping? So you sat set it to run after lights out every 30 min for 15min? How fast should the drip be? I dont know if this dripping will even keep up with my rate of evap. Finally in what doses should one add the kalk to the ro? My container is 20L. Any recommended brands?

17. irie ivan

Kalk is kalk is kalk, due to its self purifying nature. If you can find some at a pharmacy, should be around R20 for 500g, vs the rediculous prices charged for hobby brands, its a no brainer.
    In a twenty litre bucket, add 5 teaspoons, stir, wait for it to settle before allowing pump to do its thing.
    Also, a good idea to raise the pump a little off the base of RO reservoir, as to minimize the solids damaging the pump.
    Truth is, the kalk will damage your pump due to its caustic nature, but i have had my little R40 cheap topup pump running for over three years.
    The airline tap will add backpressure yes, but have not had this be a concern.
    If the setup doesnt keep up with evap rate, simply decrease the off time, and end its running cycle a bit into the morning hours, as the tank takes a while to have pH start climbing.

18. irie ivan

If you find a pharmacy which has, please send me a PM, so i can go grab a few kgs.

19. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Awesome! Thanks for all of the help. Will go and have a look. Any advice as to the speed of the drip?

20. Criggy

Criggy Thread Starter

Oh- is the quantity added to the 20L drum not dependant on your tanks needs or can one not overdose the solution in the ro water? Ie if it raises my kh to 12 and i only want it at 10 then make the solution less? Should i monitor doaing with a ph probe? Whats an acceptable rise in ph?

21. irie ivan

What is ur system volume! What is ur current alk or Ca consumption rate? How many sps and lps do you intend to keep? What is ur flow from sump to tank?
    With the above recommendation, ovedose will only lead to precipitation in sump, very little. The chance of it raising alk in a systm with scleractinians is minimal, especially if dosed at night.
    I wouldnt worry about investing in a pH monitor for the above setup, but if you have the cash, then go for it.... Or, get a doser.

Recent Posts