Paraguard

Discussion in 'Quarantine Tanks, sick fish, QT corals' started by Maddy, 24 May 2016.

1. Maddy

Maddy

Hi all. Hope someone can assist me. Is paraguard basically formalin? Or can I buy formalin seperately? Or does paraguard contain formalin?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

From seachem's website:

"ParaGuard is the only fish and filter safe aldehyde based (10% by weight) parasite control product available (for parasites on fish). Unlike highly toxic and difficult to use formalin based medications, ParaGuard contains no formaldehyde or methanol and will not alter pH. ParaGuard employs a proprietary, synergistic blend of aldehydes, malachite green, and fish protective polymers that effectively and efficiently eradicates many ectoparasites (e.g. ich, etc.) and external fungal/bacterial/viral lesions (e.g., fin rot). It is particularly useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish and whenever new fish are introduced to a community tank".

So no it doesn't contain formalin. What are you wanting to use the Paraguard for?

4. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

I have dwarf seahorses and am struggling with the babies with parasites. They are scratching themselves the whole time thats a sure sign of parasites. I use paraguard for this but its not looking very successful regarding the parasites with the babies. I read on all the seahorse sites they use 37% formalin. 0.3 ml per 3 gallon. (my horses are in a 3 gallon tank) for parasites for the fry. Maybe I'm using too little paraguard but scared to use too much before doing proper research on it. When the last babies were born I put in literally 8 drops of paraguard in my 13 liter tank.

5. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

I must be honest, I have no experience with seahorses at all so maybe someone more experienced should comment here... My only concern with what you have said is that you are wanting to do this with baby seahorses which I would assume are far more fragile and would need a lower dosage (how low is the conundrum).

Have you been dosing the Paraguard everyday? As per the instructions it should be dosed every day at the same time

6. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Yes the babies are much more fragile but left with the parasites they will also die. No I don't use it everyday, only when I see them scratching and irritated specifically as I don't want to overdose them. I'll have to check on the bottle again what dosage they suggest but I already made it much less. Not even near full dosage.

7. Rob13

Rob13 MASA Contributor

@Maddy how are the seahorses doing?

8. NJH

NJH

Paraguard must be dosed daily untill the parasites are gone. Paraguard only lasts about 24 hours so daily doses is essential. Remove carbon.

Rob13 likes this.
  9. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Hi Rob. The adults are doing just fine. The one male is pregnant again I see. But none of the babies unfortunately made it. I'll try again with the next lot.
    NJH thanx for the advice. Do you perhaps have a suggestion on how much paraguard I should use in my 13 liter where I keep the dwarfs? Someone else suggested a quarter of the dosage as stated on the bottle?

10. NJH

NJH

I am not an expert in seahorses but would suggest at least half the dosage. Paraguard is alot more gentle than formalin. I know formalin is reccomended at a quarter or half dosage. Just not sure how effective it will be at half dosage. Perhaps split the fry in two seperate groups. One at half the other at full?

11. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Thanks yes that's a good idea I might as well experiment with them. Sorry for the stupid question but where do I get formalin if I wanted to test it? Or is it only available overseas?

12. NJH

NJH

I think at a pharmacy. Not sure about dosing instructions.

Last edited: 27 May 2016
Recent Posts