Urgent help needed Papitto's crash

Papitto

PatrickF
Reaction score
Disaster has struck my tank on Tuesday night, thanks to city powers poor management, the Substation next door exploded.
FFWD....
I struggled to keep my genie going(old borrowed genie). My battery back lasted 6 hours x2 with genie on. The was Wednesday morning. By 3pm the genie wouldn't start up again.
FFWD....
Last night's Temps dropped badly in my house. This morning, 7 fish died, removed them. All acros except 2 bleached out. LPS turned to dust. My awesome 20 cm colony green birdsnest bleached too. Temp was 14!!!!!

Steps I took when power was restored.
1. Added another eheim 300w heater t slowly raise temp up. Added 6 coke bottles with boiled water in to assist.
2. Big bag of GAC in sump
3. Bag of purigen 250ml
4. Prime about 50ml
5. Dosed 5 drops of Zeobak
6. Wet skimming
7. Running 2 air pumps with air stones
8. RW8's aimed at surface.

Did 50L water change. Salt is finished!
The water is very cloudy, but slowly clearing up.
Tested Nh4, No2, No3 which were not detectable.

Only have 3 fish left, some corals very unhappy I tried to gently blow mucus off my red and blue logo and the flesh turned to dust MY WORD!!!

What else am I missing?

Sorry for the misfortune. For future reference, what you can do to keep temperature up, is use a gas bottle with cooker top, put some tank water in a pot and warm it up and mix it back into the tank. I did this 2 weeks back when we had a 16 hour outage.

So sorry to hear of this incident :( I went through a similar situation a few weeks back and it was rough.

You may end up having a mini cycle as the bacteria died off when the temp dropped so low. Can you get the parameters double checked to make sure?

The lobo may have brown jelly disease from the stress, a pic may help confirm. You can clean the coral with a coral dip or siphon the brown stuff off (if the coral is attached).

What fish are remaining and how healthy are they? You may end up with a whitespot outbreak from this incident.

Can you link your tank thread to this tank so that the tank size, Filtration methods used etc can assist the other members in offering suggestions and solutions?

Good luck and I hope the remaining stock survive!

Sorry to hear, looks like you pulled out all the stops, well done for that. Sometimes the odds are against us when we rely on external factors.
Chin up, and focus on re-establishing the stable ecosystem, all the best ...

Sorry to hear bud. Know the feeling and it is not great. Hope you get your system back to it's former self. Maybe look into getting a solar panel for your tank. Could help prevent any future losses due to power outages. Good Luck.

Hey Patrick really sorry to hear this man.
Ur tank looked awesome,
Really hope everything that is left makes it. Hang in there Bud

Thanks for a the replies guys. Only changes in parameters is my ph dropped to 7.9 from 8.2. This was over the past 3 days.
I have done another 50L WC today. Still no Nh4, No2 and No3 readings. Had it tested with another red Sea kit today.

Water still cloudy but much less than yesterday.
All sps except 1 frag are white. Tank looks like an under water desert, white skeletons all over. Can't explain the feeling...

My skimmer is pulling out really dark brown chocolate looking stuff, but that fishy smell is still there and I think it's the skimmer overflow container.

I will just be patient and keep up WC every 2nd day. Just waiting for salt on Monday.
I'm not a broken reefer, just bruised :confused:

Good luck bud. I feel for you. It sucks I have first hand experience but you will get through this!

Hey bud sorry to hear do you live near Gordon road... anyways when your tank is back to normal come pass I got some softie frags to get u started again

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom