Panasonic Lumix FZ8 or DSLR

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Broder, 16 Jul 2009.

1. Broder

Broder Mudshark

I have the Panasonic and am pretty happy with what it does, but then again I don't have any comparison. If you read the previews on cameras, it's all gobbledygook until you actually start taking pics and working the camera. So my question is, would I see a huge difference in my pictures if I spent the extra money on a DSLR. If it's a case of seeing a slight improvement, then I'd rather spend the money on a couple of new sails where I'd definitely see benefits.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Depending on what you go for but YES, it will make a big difference in the pic quality. Mainly that you can get a faster shutter speed due to the higher ISO that you can use. Higher shutter speed = less camera shake. The amount of noise in the pics of the DSLR will also be a lot less.

4. Broder

Broder Thread Starter Mudshark

But we can't really use any iso higher than 200 anyway, due to loss of detail.

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

On a decent DSLR like a Canon 40D etc you can go up to 3200ISO with very good results. The detail at their ISO800 is most better than the 200ISO on the panasonic. Trust me I know. I have the FZ50.

6. Broder

That sounds like quite a huge benefit already Marius. I'm definitely getting interested.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Mudshark, I was reading your thread the other day and your photo's are outstanding. If you do go DSLR you need to consider the cost factor with different lenses, like zoom lenses, 50mm or 100mm macro lenses etc. those boys are not cheap.

8. Broder

Ouch... so there's more money to be spent. What sort of lense do DSLR cameras normally come standard with, and do they have a macro facility?

9. crispin

crispin

mudshark i would say your interest in photography is greater than a simple point and shoot. I go with viper in saying you get good shots with what you ahve, but you are limiting your own enjoyment of photography by the cameras ability in what it can do.

i would def look at a decent entry level DSLR and then work out what lenses you want later.

viper isnt lyiong when he says that the lenses for cameras are additional $$$, i forked out R6000 or so for my 100mm macro, but then the shots i get of bees which i use fort work well justifies it, and I play lots on tanks too.

personally i recon u should go with a DSLR and take the time to get the lenses you want. U can also get a tube connector to shoot passable to very good macro shots using the basic kit lenses DSLR use.

also chat to Rory, he is nerd like when it comes to comparing cameras and what they give you, also he has just done the definative desk top reserach on the topic :) well close to it anyway

10. viper357

Look at Game or Makro, they occasionally have a package going where you get the camera body and 2 decent lenses, but with the standard set of kit you will not get the macro shots that you want, you will have to invest about R6000 for a 100mm macro lens, or you can get adapters or tube things that apparently help with macro shots, although I have never tried those.

11. Ross

Ross

DSLR is going to give you a whole lot more options, but it is not the camera body that makes the shot. Sure the quality of the sensor etc are way above the average point and shoot, but the glass in front of the camera is going to make all the difference.

Take some time on a site like sacamera.co.za and look at the lens options. Try look at lenses with a small aperture (f-stop number) and you will get an idea of price. The smaller this number, the more light the lens can let in. In the hobby these are called faster lenses cause you can shoot in lower light conditions and shoot faster subjects.

12. viper357

Whoops, Crispy beat me to it :p

lol, yeah Rory's pretty clued up with which camera does what :)

13. Ross

Ross

Never overlook the reversed lens macro. The standard 18-55mm Lens that comes with most entry level Canon cameras makes a great lens for this. Another awesome lens is the very cheep 50mm f/1.8. This is a prime lens so it does not have moving parts, gets great shots for less than 100 bucks and with a reversed lens makes a great combo. Also if you are trying the reversed lens, find buddies with old 35mm film cams that they don't use and bully them into the old lenses. With the revers setup you can not use auto-focus anyway.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

15. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I bought my Nikon D40 DSLR from SACamera.co.za (they are based here in Century City - Cape Town - BUT, they EVERYWHERE, they have a decent online site)....
    I paid R4700 at the time (about 6-8 months ago now) for mine....

I LOVE that camera - also one of the BEST investments I ever did - for our photographic memories. I used to LOVE nature and portrait photography. I did training for that.
    BUT, unfortunately, until recently, taking decent pics of aquarium subjects REALLY STUMPED ME! ;)

16. Broder

Wow... thanks for all of the information guys. Are second hand lenses readily available for Canon?
    Ross, what do you mean by "reversed lense macro"? As a layman, it sounds as if you're turning the lense around??? If you don't have the auto focus available when doing this, is it easy to focus manually?

17. viper357

Ah yes, I forgot about that, I had a reverse ring adaptor for an old Pentax camera I used to have, worked fairly well, but I battled with the focus and lighting. Here's a pic of a pod I took with the adaptor and I think the standard 55mm lens
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. jacquesb

WOW! That's awesome Viper! HHHmmmm - another toy to buy! ;)

19. Broder

Thanks for all the links to sites guys. I've realised though that I'll get far more valuable insights from you guys, who shoot the same subject as me. I don't even know what a lot of the features are that they compare. I would probably look at the wrong things when comparing. To me it looks as if the Canon generally seems to be popular with you guys, and the lenses seem to be cheaper than Nikon's.

20. viper357

21. jacquesb

BTW: Where did you get hold of the reverse ring adaptor, Viper?

Recent Posts