Pairing Clarkii clowns.

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by pXius, 11 Oct 2011.

1. pXius

pXius

I got my existing Clarkii (about 5cm-6cm) a healthy perfect sized mate this weekend, (about half the size). As planned the smaller clown immediately showed submissive behavior when introduced to the tank, rolling on his side and making the spasm movements.

From what I've read that's step 1 in the pairing process, next is that the larger clown is suppose to "accept" its new mate. This has not taken place yet. The smaller clown hides way on the other side of the tank behind the power head. I actually have to feed it separately. The larger clown is actively searching for and chasing the smaller one, just keeping it at one side of the tank.

How long can I expect to wait before, if ever, the larger clown excepts the smaller one?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

You could ask Reef Maniac as I saw this Post...Cant say when the one will accept the other....

Sexing the fish:
    Actually, that's the easiest part--just take any two fish, and give them enough timeā€¦.. Clownfish are all born as males, believe it or not. Then, the largest (and most dominant) of any group undergoes a sex change, and becomes the female. The second largest fish usually becomes the breeding male, and all the other fish remain "sexless" drones. Should the breeding female die or be removed, the breeding male will change to a female, and the next fish in the pecking order will become the breeding male.

So, given enough time any two fish could become a pair, if they're agreeable. It does help to start off with young fish, though. Also, do try to buy your fish from different sources, if possible, to minimize inbreeding.
    Breeding Clarkii Clownfish - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Buying an established pair is perhaps the easiest way to go. Many aquarium/fish stores have these or can order them for you. Sometimes you get lucky and get a pair already spawning. Look for a pair that hangs out together as this is a good sign that they are a true pair. Another possibility is buying a group of juveniles and raising them to breeding age.
    This takes a good deal longer as some species take quite a while to mature. Also certain species are more aggresive and you may have to remove unwanted extras. Basically, you watch as the group matures and they will pair up by themselves. The female will be the largest, with the male next biggest. The rest should stay juveniles.
    Marine And Saltwater Fish: Breeding Clownfish
    Hope this helps...:)

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  4. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks, I read that post as well :D

Problem is, the whole process is a bit stressful on the smaller clown, and having had WS in my reef before I'm concerned that the stress could drop his immune system and make him vulnerable to WS.

5. Reefhead

Reefhead

If you dont introduce them together or introduce a bigger clown then the one which is established in your aquarium then the clowns could end up killing each other.
    That clown which has been in your tank from the start at the moment is not interested in breeding at the moment but rather defending their space, sometimes even to the death
    Sorry man but there is a correct way of doing it, especially with your more agro clowns like clarkis, maroons, etc. But i am affraid that chucking in smaller one with an established one is not the way to do it

6. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Could you not try and keep his Immune System up by supplementing Vitamins..?

7. Reefhead

Reefhead

Is the new one eating?
    Is it possible to catch the bigger one?

8. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Yes

and

Yes.

Think I should sump the big one?

I went for the small one based on this article. (Paragraph 8) "Add a new clownfish to an existing clownfish technique:"

http://knol.google.com/k/forming-pair-bonds-in-clownfish#

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  9. Reefhead

Reefhead

Mmm I understand what they saying but cant say I would have done that with a agro species like clarki. For your more placid ones like skunks, percs, etc. that might work
    Yup I would say sump the big one, let the little one settle make him nice fat (the more weight he has the more chance of a quicker sexual morph) and then when the little guy is settled chuck in the big one again.
    The little one will chase the big one when you put it back but the stress wont be as great on the big one as it currently is for the small one

pXius likes this.
  10. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Thanks, gana give it a try! ;)

11. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

Whats the shortest suggested timeout for the big clown? a few days?

12. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

I'm in the same boat...
    I bought a clarkii on Saturday about half the size of my old one.. at first the signs were good... spasms and weird swimming all around by both... then the big clarkii started snotklupping the little guy and now the small one is parking well out of the way.

I was planning on sumping the big guy till he drops his attitude and the little one settles... maybe even steals the carpet anemone, but i got a pair of percs down there busy pairing up and the clarkii will give them stick... so i'm gonna wait a week or so, and then swap them out by putting the percs up in the DT and relegating the big clarkii to the sin bin.
    I will let you know how that works out...

13. Reefhead

Reefhead

A few days say a week to be safe (if a week is possible)

14. Tony

Tony

The clown that you recently introduced, was it from a pet shop or someone's tank?

The guys are right. Clown fish are born male or protandrist for a more biological word. When two clowns are paired the dominant one will become the female. Getting back to my original question. The reason why I asked is that if the recently introduced clown was from a LFS, then the chances are it's a male. If it was from anothr reefers set up where he/she had another pair and one died off, chances are that the clown you have bought could have changed sex already and you are sitting with two females. The problem lies where the female wont become male again and will fight.

It is common for a newly introduced clown to twitch on it's side with an existing clown, who is automatically dominant. It's a sign of submission and the male will do this for a while to be accepted by the female. If the new fish is eating and there is no fin nipping and excessive bullying, then I cant see a problem. I have in the past introduced a new clown to my existing one and there was twitching from the new one and some aggression from the existing fish, but they soon accepted one another. Try not to sump the existing clown unless you really have to as this almost always causes more stress as the are extremely difficuilt to catch without tearing your whole system down. Feed the fish well and they will settle down soon enough.

15. Tony

Tony

One last thing. Are the two clowns the same species?

16. pXius

pXius Thread Starter

@Tony

Thanks
    Yes the same species, and yes its from a LFS.

@Erle_vaugen

I was a bit optimistic about catching my bigger clown. I've resorted to a fish trap in which I've caught almost every fish in my tank but the clown lol.

I'm going to let them be for the moment. If it gets to bad I'll try again.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  17. Tony

Tony

Good idea

Recent Posts