Painting the back of the tank.

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Kevinspk, 31 Mar 2013.

1. Kevinspk

Kevinspk

I have a rather simple simple one here. I have a directional tank. And don't like seeing cables down the back or the wall behind the tank. Have seen the fake images of reefs and the such that can be stuck on the back glass, but don't like how they look. So I was thinking maybe just paint it. Has anybody got any sugestions on paint color. The tank stand is black so was leaning towards maybe just a dark blue. Can the color I choose effect the tank in anyway. And secondly does anybody know of a safe paint that I can put inside tank. Have a division with the filtration system inside that I would like to paint to match the back to hide it a little better. Thanks guys. If you have any other ideas throw them in to.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chas84

chas84

I have a painted light (sky) blue background. A painted black background would make the colours "pop" but the black background does appear to result in a "darker" tank whereas the light blue make the entire tank seem brighter. Some guys use a plastic/vinyl that they stick to the back, I haven't used or seen that option so I can't comment on it.

4. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

I have used a light blue paint before,but its a mission to remove and repaint safely with fish in the tank. I have also used a blue vynal,its easy to apply and remove. But am now changing to a black vynal as I find the colours in the tank will stand out better and when u get stuFf growing on ur glass it doesn't stand out as much on the black as it would on the blue,therefore it doesn't look just dirty and blotchy. You can get the vynal from Maizeys and they cut it to size whule you wait. And its cheap. Also if you want to hide your box overflow,you can use a black perspex/flexi glass type material to hide the pipe work. Hope this helps.

5. Kevinspk

Kevinspk Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Might sound stupid, but where is Maizeys.

6. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

There is like a Maizeys in every town nearly,just google them to find your closest outlet.

7. Dave F

Dave F

I use a black vinyl works really well, any sign writing place stocks it and it is really cheap.

8. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

i use black vinyl. its cheap and really easy to remove should you decide you want to change the color or for any other reason. i recently bought a 1.5m by 1m for my fresh water tank for just 80 bucks from a sign shop... i think in south africa it will cost you a lot cheaper

9. Lawrence 6

Lawrence 6

Maizey Plastics
    Haupt St, Neave Industrial, Port Elizabeth

Postal Adress:
    P.O. Box 14041, Sidwell, Port Elizabeth, 6061

http://www.maizey.co.za

Tel: (041) 453-7503

10. Kevin34PE

Kevin34PE

Maidens is in Pretoria and Johannesburg, not sure which one is closest to Germiston. Just Google them.

11. fugdub

fugdub

+100 for vinyl!!!

12. pickled78

pickled78

Inside Out

Hi Kevinspk,

Ive never come across an aquarium with its back pane of glass painted on the inside!

The ones I have seen have always been painted on the outside of the tank,

No need for special aqua safe paint or the hassle of disturbing your setup & fish if choosing the madness of emptying tank, re-locating fish, painting tank, waiting for paint safely dry, filling tank, returning the fish, and then hoping your tank is still cycled with the biological filters bacteria !!

As for the internal division to hide the filter, couldnt you find a piece of colored aqua safe perspex to match the color paint you choose?
    Aquarium safe silicon could be used to glue it above the water level?
    or even place it up against your existing division with some sort of lip at the top of the perspex so it hangs in place.

Which ever option u choose Im sure the end product will be satisfying and worth the effort.

Ron :)

13. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I use 3mm solid black plexiglass that i buy from maizies... I simply measure the inside of the tank & have them cut it to size for me.
    I then simply slide the plexiglass against the back pane & bobs your uncle.
    Also, its very easy to take out & clean the algae / corraline from the plexiglass or you can simply replace it about once a year...
    The advantage of this is that your glass will never get dirty, only the plexiglass.
    If you paint the outside of the back pane, you have to keep the glass very clean otherwise you will anyhow not be able to see the painted color.

PS. you also get the plexiglass in skyblue & darkblue.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I use black ABS sheet behind the tank. And I do not clean the back panel.

Recent Posts