Painted Backed Tanks

Do you keep your tank's back glass clean ?

• No, great food for fish

Votes: 28 80.0%
  • Yes, I like a neat and tidy tank

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Yes, I have a dual viwing tank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Guys with painted backed tanks, do you allow the algae, coralline, snail eggs and other weird shell like structures grow on the back or do you prefer to scrape off.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Mine is not painted, got a black sheet attached to the back with mirror tape. I don't ever clean the back glass, what must grow must grow - I let it be :)

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I have always tried to keep the back clean, my new tank will be painted and kept clean, personally i think the tank looks much better.

Reaction score
i have to still put a back up, once up i think its should be kept clean if blue, gives it that very nice healthy look but dose reduce algea for tangs. if coralline is removed your alk will become more stable as coralline chows your alk.

with a black background it seems to "hide" the algea as it does not stand out alot. so then the tangs can still chow it.

JMO

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I wanted to tick both options 1 & 2, but couldn't.... :)

Clean the back every now and again (my wife also jumps and cleans it when it starts irritating her). I think that I can "let it go" to feed my tangs for a while longer, before I feel compelled to clean it!

Reaction score
Howzit guys,just a quick question.Are your'l saying that you guys leave the hair algae to grow at the back of the tank.Would like to know your thoughts.Shotto.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Aslam - no - not hair algae.... hair algae is a pest in a marine tank. No - we are talking about corralline algae, and the simple green and brown algae the grows on the glass.....

Reaction score
OK, I think it's time to clean this back glass.

I have tried everything to get a manufactured product, with no luck.

What DIY suggestions are out there for scraping the glass ?

52848a71af88301e.jpg

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
If you put some black backing behind the tank you wont see the green :p

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
There are products to clean the back of your tank, it's a sharp blade on a stick type thing, i think Deltec do them, i can get you one and post it if you can't get one, but i'll try to get a link to the scraper to show you.