Paint

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Neil H, 14 Sep 2009.

1. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

So if for some doff reson i wanted to paint something that would go inside a reef tank, what type of paint should i use. i.e. whaat type of paint will not leach chemicals if exposed to the marine water over a long period of time ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. vis

vis

i also had that same idee long time ago.....after you painted what ever you wanted to paint. a clear epoxy should be applied afterwards, i will look for the info, read it on the net sometime ago.

4. Boendoe

Boendoe

Hi Niel

You would probably use the same paint they use for koi ponds, but I think you will be very limited in terms of colour, you wouldn't find shocking Pink. So by the way I still have your water and your frag.

5. FransSny

FransSny

Neil Pond paint is ok, but WHY would you want to paint inside the tank

6. inflames

inflames

Hi Neil,

I painted (or sealed) my Cabinet and Hood with Marine Varnish from Builders (can get it any where though). They aparently use it on yacht's to protect them from the salt water. It does a great job of protecting the wood and I have had no ill effects in my tank. I did give it 3 coats and left in to dry well before use though!

Does this mean you can use it "in" the water and it wont leach bad stuff into the water column?!?!? That I can't say. What I can comment on was told to me from someone that owns a paint shop and sells paint for a living... and this is what he told me about paint (ALL Paint)...

Paint is constantly "drying", and when it eventually (be it 5 or 50 years from now) it will eventually dry out and then start to crack and perish. This is when the paint is useless and looks terrible.So if paint is constantly drying, that tells me that the paint is constantly "leaching" conpounds (be they good or bad) into the air, or water! I would assume because salt water is so "corrosive" with almost everything it comes into contact with that using any paint INSIDE the aquarium to be a no go!! I did hear from a mate of mine about mixing varnish wth some sort of glue or compound...will email him and refresh my memory...this apparently formms and inpenetrable barrier, high gloss barrier when painted on...will PM you when I hear from him!

Thats my 2c!!

7. Neil H

Neil H Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

thanks for the feedback guys !

Recent Posts