RSS Pacific Sun Ariel is designed to brighten up the deep tanks

Discussion in 'RSS Feeds' started by MASA Admin, 23 Apr 2013.

1. MASA Admin

MASA Admin Moderator

The Pacific Sun Ariel is a T5+LED hybrid light that will give you plenty of spread and punch to illuminate your long, wide and deep aquarium. Pacific Sun says the most powerful version (1200W) of the new Pacific Sun Ariel has no trouble meeting the lighting needs for aquariums up to 80 in. long, 55 in. wide and 58 in. deep.

The hybrid Pacific Sun Ariel allows you to choose LEDs for deep or shallow applications. With six LED banks, you can choose the high-power 150W panels or Hyperion Type S LED arrays designed for shallow water with the white LEDs at a lower power.* Need less punch for depth? Try the 145W version and if you’re running super wide and shallow, go for the 75W panels to prevent frying all your corals.*The Pacific Sun Ariel also uses*six supplemental 54W T5 bulbs to give you the illumination straight LED or T5 can give.

There are eight channels of LED control (no dimming on the T5s, although this feature would make it the king of all hybrids). The lamp can be wirelessly controlled via Bluetooth or WiFi. Pacific Sun’s newest light is powered by electronic ballasts and cooled with dedicated fans and measures in at 1250 x 650 x 50mm (around 49.25 x 25.5 x 2 in.). No word on final pricing or availability but as always, we will pass it along when it’s available.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    <h4 class='related_post_title'>Readers also viewed:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Click here to read the article...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

to all those who says leds are for power saving...

Ok, it does have 6*54 T5 tubes, just over 300 what. SO about 900W leds in there.

This unit uses the same power as 3 * 400W MH.

4. durleo

durleo

would this unit produce less heat than metal halides - plus its more controllable

5. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Yes, less heat. @RiaanP, these days guys should start realising the only advantage of LEDS are the long life span of the diodes.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I know.

But somebody had taken me on big time a couple of months ago when I mentioned that LEDS are not for power saving anymore. This just proofs it. I rest my case.

7. Express Reef

Express Reef

Remember you still save with leds, dont need to change globes, dont need to run a chiller... not even to mention the dimming, you still save... leds not running at 100% the whole day...

8. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I agree with you!
    The only place where LEDs will save you power is on smaller tanks.

9. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

I wonder how much $$$

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yeah, but on my tank, I have 4 radions, at 135W each its 540W

T5, I would use a 8 tube unit due to the width of the opening between the euro bracing, The tank is 750 front to back but with 100mm bracing the opening is only 550mm

Using dim-able ballasts on a Profilux with 8 T5 globes, and I would get the same effect as not running 100% all day long. In fact, might be less due to be only 432W max.

Anyway, as Carlos said, its just the long lasting diodes that makes a difference nowadays.

11. Express Reef

Express Reef

Cost off profilux and dim-anle ballasts? and to replace 8 x T5 tubes ever 9mths...

12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

VS
    cost of 4 radions....

Dim0able ballast is about 500-550 each, so that is 2G.
    Profilux, secondhand or new 5 to 7G.
    Plus T5 unit, say nice one, 5G
    Total 12 to 15 thousand.

4 * Radion, at around 9G each... 36 thousand.

Almost 20 thou difference... that is a lot of globe replacements....

Globes , at good quality around 300 each * 8 that is 2400 each time. That is 8 tube replacements, or 4 years. But take into account that with the profilux control, not all T5 would run the same number of hours, So some would need to be replaced 6 months down the line, others a lot later.

Now doing these calculations... Wonder why I went with Radions... Oh, yeah got them secondhand.

13. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I fully agree here.
    My nano used to run on 2x 36PL
    The tube replacements cost me R500 every 6 months (actually shorter, replaced 3x in 10 months)

My LED unit is 36W.
    Got it for a cost less than 3x my globe replacements.
    Which means half the power. And I removed my fan, so less consumption there as well.

So yes, for me, it was totally worth it...

14. Kender

Kender Charl

So this unit will also cost around R1800 every six moths for T5 replacement? in addition to the original cost.

15. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Still minimal if you want to get the same power output from T5. I have the pandoras. 450 watts if LEDs and 216 watts of T5. It would cost me a fortune to replace the T5's on a yearly basis

Recent Posts