p/skimmer newbie

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by frenchie, 13 May 2012.

1. frenchie

frenchie

Hi, quick question. Started cycling my tank on Friday. What ive got running so far is redsea salt mix(1.025 at the moment), quad 4 lighting, sump filter with bio balls and crushed coral, aragonite substrate, reef octopus p/skimmer. there is no live rock yet. Now my question is, my skimmer is already taking out a light yellow discharge, about 100ml since yesterday, what could it be removing and should I turn it off untill I add live stock. I have added a bacteria additive (microb- lift special blend).

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. DarrenT

DarrenT

Take out the bio-balls, they are a nitrate trap! you honestly do not need them. Turn your skimmer off until your tank has finished the cycle.. it was probably removing the special blend that you put in. Let your tank run four about for weeks and test the water every week ensure the cycle is actually happening. If you dont know how to see if its cycling. your ammonia will spike and then decrease, then your nitrate will increase and decrease and the same goes for nitrate and as soon as your nitrate has come down you can add your first tank mate.

Last edited: 13 May 2012
  4. frenchie

frenchie Thread Starter

Thanks will be turning off the skimmer and removing b/balls.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

only add bacteria once you have added some live rock. The skimmer should be off before you can add bacteria as it will remove the bacteria before it can get to work but as DarrenT said you can keep your skimmer off

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. I suggest you read the article in my signature on starting a marine tank - great info on the nitrogen cycle for beginners ;)

Recent Posts