Ozoniser gas inhalation

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JsPLAYn, 6 May 2011.

1. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Hey all, I'm looking at adding an oziniser to my setup, but after reading up about it, long term inhalation of ozone (O3) is harmfull to humans, all facts have been proven, so how do u inject ozone into the tank an neutralize the exess to reduce inhalation???????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Munky82

Munky82

Just calm down and take a deep breath...:tt2:

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

By holding your breath? :p

Try Diy a ozone reactor chamber

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Run your ozone controlled through an Mv controller.
    Turn off ozone when Mv gets too high (will have to research levels?)
    Scrub the remaining air through activated carbon to remove all traces of Ozone

6. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

So we're duz the carbon go?

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

the carbon will absorb any ozone befor it enters bak into your system.

8. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

You should filter both the water from the O3-reactor, and the air exiting the reactor chamber (most of the time a skimmer) through activated carbon, which removes the excess O3 through adsorption.

Be aware that O3 being dumped into your tank can also result in some pretty toxic substances being introduced into the water if not filtered through activated carbon - this, to my mind, is more potentially harmful to your livestock than a bit of O3 being released into the air of the room (given the very small volumes of O3 actually being produced, and the speed with which it would react with the air in the room, thus neutralising the O3 pretty rapidly). Unless your tank is kept in a pretty airtight room, or if you keep it in e.g. your bedroom where you spend (say) 8 hours sleeping with the windows and door closed, I would not be too concerned about the toxic effects on humans. Worst case in most instances is that you will develop a splitting headache if there is excess O3, and THAT will tell you that you should rather not run the O3 reactor in that room.

Hennie

9. IMarine

IMarine

excellent info there

10. robvdv

robvdv

Run the ozone into your skimmer air intakes. I run around 600mg/h of ozone into my tank this way. I also use carbon filters on the skimmer effluent. Don't worry too much about ozone being released into the atmosphere. It has a very short life in water before it breaks down. The real risk, as Hennie suggests, is from hypobromite in the effluent.

This risk is more acute with NSW. Artificial salts often exclude bromine. You can test for hypobromites using a regular pool chlorine test pill.

Here's a photo of a test I did of my ozone effluent (some time ago) pre and post a carbon chamber:

[​IMG]

The pre-carbon test is on top. Red means lots of chlorine/hypobromite. The post carbon test is pink, so there's still some hypobromite, but the carbon has had an effect.

Reef Maniac likes this.
  11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Thanks guys, really good info, its the answers I was looking for..... So from that, I have a jeboquadplex skimmer which I will use as my ozone reactor, top is sealed better than conventional skimmers with holes in skimmer cup lid..... So I would then let the skimmer water outlet run into carbon bag or chamber to remove excess O3 from water exiting skimmer, an wouldn't have to worry bout excess air excaping?....

12. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

13. Achilles

Achilles

ummm one thing you should worry about is any rubber components in the room or some plastics where ozone is injected will have their lifespan severely shortened these can be rubber components in airconditioners ,o-rings, TVs , pumps etc etc. thus the air is best vented outside the house.

Last edited: 8 May 2011
  14. gaboon

gaboon

Is that skimmer big enough, will it allow enough reaction time? I have one of those and also interested in running ozone.

15. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@Achilles .... Dude hws it possible to run it outside, unless ur sump an skimmer is outside

@gaboon .... Its big enough yes, reaction time is determined by user, cause ozone isn run 24/7..... So it should work for any tank size,each user for diff tank sizes can determine running times for maximum effect..... And I also research the skimmer an its made to be ozone safe, so it wnt get damaged by ozone gases

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. gaboon

gaboon

Thanks JsPLAYn, can you give a step by step guide on how you are going to set it up?

17. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Unfortunately I'm learnin aswell, hence the thread..... So a good friend an Owner of PhutureLAB ,Zayn will be assistin me with the setup as he did with most of my tank an canopy, I've been reefing a year nw incl my previous 2 setups but dam, till this day I'm still learnin lol..... Will post wen its installed

18. gaboon

gaboon

Cool, look forward to it.

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What gaboon tried to point to, is your skimmer reaction chamber big enough, meaning, how long is the bubbles in there before it exits? How much time does the skimmer body provide reaction time between the bubbles with O3 and the water.

And yes, I run my O3 on a timer for 45minutes twice a day, and it runs after I leave for work, and before I return. And its in the dinning room (well "normal" people would use this room as a dinning room). Well ventilated in my opinion.

20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@RiaanP .... I knw wat he meant, hence I said 'its determined by time active'.... I might nt have explained it in so many words that was necesary, but if u have a big skimmer body, more bubbles react so activity time is short, wereas if its a small body, u run bit longer for more reaction time...an on another note, the jebo quadplex isn really that small, its actually rated up to 300 litres

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Actually taller body skimmers allow more reaction time. Fat body needs more down flow.

Also older skimmers are not ozone ready. The ozone react with the skimmer body, making them brittle. And the rubber seals. New skimmers use different grade of acrylic.

How long period do you want to run yours on a timer?

Recent Posts