Ozone

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by simonmcgill, 28 Oct 2014.

1. simonmcgill

simonmcgill

Hi

I have searched the forum and could not find an appropriate answer so this is the reason for the post.

How long should one run the ozonator in your tank. I have a probe and it is set to 400 units so I know I won't overdose. The question is however, as ozone is the most corrosive element and eats through all the pipes eventually. What does it do to your electrical appliances and cables in the water. In addition what will it do to the silicone in your tank. Is there a chance it can weaken the joints and the tank could pop.

Any guidance would be welcomed.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

if I understand corectly ozone will and should not last in the water column long enough to corode silicone.. electric cables etc... if it did you will habe no livestock as well...
    ozone is highly volatile and in few seconds with contact with water will lose the third oxigen atom and from O3 will become simply a harmless O2 ... hense the reason why ozone is added to the skimmer through the ventury pipe.. once in thw skimmer body it will react with the water colum breking down organic mater and while doing so converting itself to oxygen... by the time the water from your skimmer goes back in the tank there shouldn't be any ozone left...

people run ozone rectors where the ozone can be in contact with the tank water in controled environment and when it exits the reactor will pass through some activated carbon wich will ensure that no ozone goes into the tank... look up some diy reactors or buy one ready made (expensive but probably more efficient).... personaly I ran ozone in my tank for about two months and saw no diference in my tank as to claims of polishing your water fish floating on air etc... so I stoped... I ran the ozone 24/7 through my external RO skimmer.... skkmer is still working 100% till today jn my tank so I belive tha the materials they use to make them are ozone resistant

TaahirS likes this.
  4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

I still have the ozone generator conected to my tank and will probably use it if I habe ich outbreak or something similar that I need to remove from the water colum.. otherwise it will remain off... from all the reading ive done on ozone I cant say whether there is conclusive evidence that ozone is as beneficial to the reef tank as many claim it to be... and some even claim that malessing with the orp values in your tank its just not worth the risk.. the margin for errors are just too small...

by the way what are your reasons for running ozone... not criticizing you just want to find out... if its for sterilisation of the water column I think there are safer methods such as UV... although that won't pollish your water as ozone is claimed to do... but then you habe activated carbon for that

Recent Posts