Ozone

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Marine1, 2 Jan 2013.

1. Marine1

Marine1

Hi
    Where can I get a air dryer and a reactor for hlo 800 generator.... Sponsors please

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

You can use silca gel in a RO unit chamber, works like a bomb for me and @carlosdeandrade

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

Thanks. Please show me how you have yours setup if you don't mind.....from drying to end product

5. dallasg

Will do, take pics etc tomorrow
    Will also send you the supplier for silca

6. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

Thanks your a star.... What unit are you running and how much ozone you supplying?

7. dallasg

Same as you, now it's waiting for my new tank, Carlos is running the same and I know he will reply tomorrow morning, also how are you planning to "inject" it?
    I used a skimmer, but now going to use a pressurized ozone reactor

8. Marine1

Marine1 Thread Starter

I've got it in the skimmer but also want a reactor... Reef oct that Carlos had on his post just don't know where to get it or cost of one. What dosage are you running

Last edited: 2 Jan 2013
  9. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@dallasg, small break from cleaning!:p Ok @Marine1 I use a avast marine ozone reactor, which also needs to be pressurised at about 4psi, which is equavalint to 0.027579036347101477 Mpa (here is the web address for this calculation: Conversion Calculators - Convert psi to MPa - Chapel Steel), the reason I give you this is because most pumps give you the psi number on the box. You can check the reactors out at 301 Moved Permanently. The reefocto reactor is not pressurised and the return must be gravity fed back into your sump or DT (I prefer sump, as you don't want to get residual ozone into the tank. I did run my O3 through a skimmer (not my main skimmer, as it affects your skimmer production). This method was pretty affective, but you run a risk of having O3 gathering in your house, which is not a great idea, so good ventilation is very important. I personally think that drying your air is very important, especially if you live in a very humid house (like I do), this will prolong the life of your corona discharge ozone machine (this type is the one most commonly sold).

In terms of dosage? That depends how big your tank is, the bio load, the temp, pH, feeding, time of day etc. What I strive for is a millivolt reading of between 350-375mv and by using a ozone controller with a probe, that automatically switches off my machine and air pump (saving my silica beads) every time it reaches this reading. So larger tanks will need larger dosages to reach the levels I want.

Remember three things; 1.dry your air, 2.control the ozone via some means, any level above 475mv will start to damage your live stock above 550, and your tank will be dead. Thirdly, Ozone cannot be used to kill bacteria, kill viruses or even parasites in our tanks. Only at levels above 600mv will this occur (that's why it's used in water purification systems), it is purely for water clarity, and smell removal. Water clarity will aid in the photosynthetic power of the zooxanthellae and aid in light penetration.

This being said, since my use of Ozone through a reactor, I have had no more issues with GHA, and this was before I started using Orca cubes. Can I prove it, definitely not, but what makes my tank different to others, maybe it's KARMA, again :p

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts