Ozone skimmer

Reaction score
hi guys need help. want to know if i can use ozone to make bubbles in a skimmer in a sump tank?planning a 300l tank.have two o3 genarators one 250mg ozone and other one 1000 mg ozone

Hi Louw - perhaps you misunderstand the use of ozone...

Ozone gets used to modify the air-bubbles that is already going into the skimmer, by adding a negative ion to the air molekules. This then attracts MORE proteins (DOM's and POM's) to enable the skimmer to skim even better :)

The ozone also kills off any microbes in the water, making the water more clear....

also remember to run Ozone on a controller or timer ;)

louw i run my ozone for aprox.4 hours a day and my water is super clear .quite right jacques to remove 03 before entering the tank,eish u ous are very very clever out there,wow what a site

hi guys need help. want to know if i can use ozone to make bubbles in a skimmer in a sump tank?planning a 300l tank.have two o3 genarators one 250mg ozone and other one 1000 mg ozone

Yes, you can pump ozone into a skimmer (well, most skimmers, in any case, some or not O3 resistant...), BUT the ozone generator won't make any bubbles. You need a normal air pump to pump air through the ozone generator and then into the skimmer.

Just be aware that certain skimmers will tend to skim very wet, or even overflow, if you add more air than it normally pulls in.

Hennie

thanks guys.my o3 machines have timers and pumps built in.makes sense what u are saying.not even gonna mention what my lfs had to say on the subject.greatly appreciated.

hey louw this is the site to ask as many questions as possible so that when u visit ur lfs u walk in and take what u want and leave.you cant go wrong with some of the GURUS on MASA,its wonderful

Your ozonators are probably a little bit too big for the size of your tank. Recommended size is 150mg per 500 litres.

1gram of ozone is sooopa too much. To put in perspective you could use the 1 gram to cleanse the air in a room (nuke mould, odours, and bed bugs) of 5m*5m (75m3) running it for only 1 hour. The air would be toxic. So 1 gram for about 0.3m3 is overkill. ted is right. I think the Red Sea ozonizers have those ratings or recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom