Ozone - How is it done?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been considering using ozone for many months now and after listening to Anthony Calfo this past weekend, I have finally decided to go ahead and do it, but I have no idea on how it all works so I would really appreciate any advice you can offer me.

My first few questions :wave2:

1. Does it have to run through a skimmer?

2. All I need is an Ozone Generator and an ORP controller, is that right?

3. Any particular makes or brands to be avoided?

4. My system volume is about 1400 litres. Do you get different sized generators?

Thanking you in advance.

from i understand it is best used through your skimmer, and over dosing is easy so be careful as not to wipe out your tank

Hi everyone

I have been considering using ozone for many months now and after listening to Anthony Calfo this past weekend, I have finally decided to go ahead and do it, but I have no idea on how it all works so I would really appreciate any advice you can offer me.

4. My system volume is about 1400 litres. Do you get different sized generators?

Thanking you in advance.

Never used one, but:

1. You will need some sort of reactor, a skimmer is ideal because you're already injecting air into the water and I believe ozone will improve skimming efficiency... on the other hand, you need to make sure that your skimmer and air feed lines are ozone resistant.

2. Depending on ventilation and location, might be a good idea to run skimmer air outlet through a carbon filter to absorb any excess O3 venting off. Also, from what I can remember, it is important to dry the air feeding the ozoniser, I think you get dehumidifying beads which you place in a small reactor before the ozoniser to improve efficiency.

3. Some of the hobby brands are apparently aweful... I think there are writings by Calfo to this effect. You might want to look around for an industrial model?

4. You do get different sizes... I wouldn't know how to size a model to your tank though.

Maybe someone who actually uses an ozoniser can help?

Cheers

Hi Guys, I will be going FOWLR for a while, I still have quite a few corals to get rid of first ;)

Craig, Thank you, some nice info there. I will have a look for Calfo's articles.

Can any skimmer be used for ozone or does it have to be specially designed (not regarding the ozone resistance but with regards to running the ozone into the skimmer)? How is the ozone fed into the skimmer? Can you use a limewood airstone?

Dean if you looking for a home for some of your corals I may be interested in buying...

can you give me a brief on the pros of using Ozone?

Dean to feed it to the skimmer connect the venturi air intake to the ozonizer.

gonna be following this thread,im also interested.but also a bit scared if i wipe out the tank

Hi Guys, I will be going FOWLR for a while, I still have quite a few corals to get rid of first ;)

Craig, Thank you, some nice info there. I will have a look for Calfo's articles.

Can any skimmer be used for ozone or does it have to be specially designed (not regarding the ozone resistance but with regards to running the ozone into the skimmer)? How is the ozone fed into the skimmer? Can you use a limewood airstone?

Did you see how nice I look after the nennie and other stuff... so..;)

Hi everyone

Thanking you in advance.

Never used one, but:

1. You will need some sort of reactor, a skimmer is ideal because you're already injecting air into the water and I believe ozone will improve skimming efficiency... on the other hand, you need to make sure that your skimmer and air feed lines are ozone resistant.

2. Depending on ventilation and location, might be a good idea to run skimmer air outlet through a carbon filter to absorb any excess O3 venting off. Also, from what I can remember, it is important to dry the air feeding the ozoniser, I think you get dehumidifying beads which you place in a small reactor before the ozoniser to improve efficiency.

3. Some of the hobby brands are apparently aweful... I think there are writings by Calfo to this effect. You might want to look around for an industrial model?

4. You do get different sizes... I wouldn't know how to size a model to your tank though.

Maybe someone who actually uses an ozoniser can help?

Cheers

Thanks for all the input guys. Anymore idea's/thoughts? Would greatly appreciate it.

I am thinking of building my own ozone reactor, have seen 1 or 2 designs on the net and considering the ozone air and water both have to be filtered through carbon I think it would be a lot easier to build a dedicated reactor for this purpose.

I am also thinking of buying a Red Sea Air Drier for the ozone generator, they sell for around $30-$40, not too bad.

dean do you remember the brand of ozone machine Anthony suggested ? iv also been considering it!
if you wanto sell your clams please let me know

Ozone

Hi everyone

Thanking you in advance.

Hello Dean

I ahve been using ozone for the last 15 years in all my personal tanks with good results only because the dosing was monitored carefully.
I will try and answer all you relevant questions point for point

1.Does it have to run through a skimmer?

No not required, but it is the prefered way and most easy way, besides it enhances your skimmer ability to remove ( oxidise ) even more unwanted stuff .

Basically yes, you would also need an air pump to run through the ozoniser. If you
live in a humid environment like durban youwould also need to pump you input air
through a drying agent of sorts.

I have only used a SANDERS and RED SEA ozoniser and have prefered the Sanders
unit for no particular reason

Yes you get from 50mg to the big commercial ones like uShaka use.
For home aquarium use I have always used a monitored dose of 5-10mg through a
Skimmer. By the way all TUNZE skimmers have a built ozone nipple as a standard
acsessory.

I hope this answers your quetions satisfactoraly and will gladly address any other questions needed

George

Back
Top Bottom