Ozone , Carbon And UV

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by DeanT, 29 Mar 2012.

1. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Hi all
    i have read a lot on the forums , but needed some clarity on these aspects.

i wanted to know which of these are needed to run a tank.
    i have a tank outside , and a UV sterlizer was recommended to me, so i wanted which direction is best

obviously carbon is cheap and can be replaced.
    i know about the hazards of the ozone , and seems there is a mixed reaction on the effectiveness of ozone and UV but they all seem to overlap in the uses.
    thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

UV globe is only effective for 3 months. So 6 weeks down the line its performing at 50%...
    And it does build up that same slime layer as you tank sides. That layer also have an effect on the penetration power of the UV light. It kills good and bad bacteria, but again you should not have all your good bacteria in the water column.

Ozone is no maintenance. No glass tube to clean or globes to replace. It also helps with the dissolved organic compound, helping to remove that yellow tint from the water. Also fills both good and bad bacteria. Best is to run it with a ORP controller. Or on a timer for short periods. Mine run for 45 minutes in the morning and afternoon, after I left for work and before I come back. Best option is to get the ozone into a chamber where the air that escape runs through some carbon. But as ozone is a extremely corrosive agent and it binds or reacts extremely fast with anything it can, it does not hang around for extended periods. But it can corrode certain rubber seals and skimmer bodies (mostly old skimmers bodies made from material that is not ozone compatible).

My opinion, ozone is better than UV.

4. DeanT

DeanT Thread Starter Dean

@RiaanP
    thanks for the reply, was keen to rather go ozone , as seems to be a better solution in the loong run, but worried about the abrasiveness of it.

if run it through a air stone , would this help, or do you still need the carbon section ?

my problem might be that my tank will be exposure to quite a bit of natural sunlight .
    will the ozone help with this , or would UV be a better option with regards to keeping algae to a minimum ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Ozone is run either through a dedicated OZONE chamber / reactor or through your skimmer venturi intake.

My setup, small air pump drives air via the ozone generator. Down in airline into a T piece. That T Piece sits on top of the venturi intake line, just under the silencer. Skimmer pulls in more air than the air pump delivers. So I do not get ozone gas escaping via the silencer.

Direct sunlight would be beneficial to all corals and algae. Rather check the other causes of the algae outbreak.

6. FransSny

FransSny

Proper maintenance is the solution to keeping algea at a minimum. Both these methods have their own pro's & cons as mentioned by Riaan , also bear in mind that ozone is quite dangerous

7. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

@DeanT

First you have to ask what kind of filtration. If you going to do Biopellets, Zeolith or Carbon dosing, then OZONE and UV is out! DSB is in ;)

Also, how humid is it where you live ? That will affect your Ozonizer's operation. (You will need a dehumidifier)

Hope that helps? PS I used UV (Before I went Biopellets)and it works well for me ?

Last edited: 29 Mar 2012
  8. FransSny

FransSny

Very good point @williet...Ozone's effectiveness will be reduced during Cape Towns wet winters

9. Express Reef

Express Reef

10. rakabos

rakabos

11. williet

:lol:

12. Express Reef

Express Reef

x2 :lol:

13. DeanT

thanks to all for the feedback .
    at the moment , my tank hasn't matured , so algae is expected .
    here is a tank shot ( sorry used my iphone)
    i am based in claremont , and as we all know winter is wet , so i understand about the effectiveness of ozone.

at the moment , i am running filter sock , skimmer , DSB ( but this is still new)

uv got reccomended to me to help reduce algae, but i dont linke the idea of too many pumps in my sump.
    i already have a return , and a pump for my chiller, so to add a 3rd is a little much (IMO)

i understand that regular water changes and that we control algae , but ozone and UV have been thrown around on the site so wanted clarity and hopefully make a decision from there

[​IMG]

14. Express Reef

Express Reef

15. williet

@DeanT

If your really want to get rid of Algae then maybe look at a low nutrient solution ?

16. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

LOL... Im actually out of MB the last couple of days...so basically its safe to say EVERYBODY will beat me to the punch..LOL

17. DeanT

will start off basic and see how the tank handles the sunlight .
    if it becomes a problem , then maybe i can look at one of the options.
    i thought one would have a noticeable advantage over the other , but that doesnt seem to be the case

18. DeanT

I wanted to know from ozone owners what they have set there orp controllers at and how much ozone they are pushing.
    I got a redox probe for my profilux and calibrated it this weekend.
    Read on red sea aqua ozone manual I found on net that redox should be maintained at 400mv , and ozone should be calculated at 5 to 15 mg per hour per 100l.

So I have set my nominal value at 375 with hysteresis at 20, and my ozone at around 100 mg/hr based on the above recommended calculation

19. ShaneO

ShaneO

I run all 3 and to simplify how it works see below:

Ozone must run through a dryer and you run about 10 mg's per 100 liters. I must run through a skimmer -
    also. Ozone will polish the water, kill disease to certain extent, oxengenate the water and kill proteins in the water so skimmer will skim less. Must run ozone with MV controller to monitor oxygen in water because to much is not always good. Ozone must run 24 hours a day. Ozone is also good if you are running a heavy fish load.

UV is for killing disease and helping with algae. Globes last a year. You do not have to touch the unit otherwise when changing the globe and cleaning the inner glass cassing. Run a big UV always like a 55 watt and then it becomes affective. UV you can run 12 hours a day if you want but I run 24 hours a day also.

Carbon is also for polishing water but also used for coral warfare and taking out poisionings in the system. Also needed for when running ozone. I run 1 kilo in a 2000 litre tank and change it once per month.

If you want to check how my tank looks go see my thread, SHANE'S REEF TANK.

20. ShaneO

ShaneO

Even up to 500 is safe. My tank ranges from 230 when I do a water change up to 450 plus minus before I do the next water change which is every two weeks and is 200 liters.

21. DeanT

Thanks @ShaneO
    I have uv and ozone running on my tank for some time.
    I just wanted to push ozone up a bit to "use it properly"
    Also because my tank is stocking up I wanted to ensure water is clean as possible, and I have had to leave my skimmer off due,to me adding stress guard on Saturday

Recent Posts