Ozone and Orp/Redox meter

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by RiaanP, 26 May 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I'm running Ozone now for three weeks. Not fully automated with fancy equipment. Only running for 30 minutes in the morning and again 30 minutes early evening.

My skimmer got a 20mm flexible tube on its air inlet, call it a breather pipe. That pipe goes out the window. So it sucks fresh air from outside.

My Ozone unit is a Hailea HLO-800 unit. With small little air pump connected to it. Both on same electronic timer. From the outlet I got a long airline hose, that goes into the 20mm breather pipe of the skimmer. Long enough to go all the way down up to the venturi.

Well my water is clear. Very clear. No more yellowing. And even with only 4 T5 tubes on, and on a tank where water is 700mm deep I still have a lot of light penetration. Well a light meter should give the answer. The skimmer, not sure if it does push out more than usual. It is a AquaMedic Shorty and it always skim dry. But boy, thick really smelly skimmate that it collects.

Well, now my question. The Orb or Redox meter. What should the reading be? Will or should I get different readings when lights are off or on? What should an ideal reading be? Currently about 190. What should RO water be?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

i think perfect is in the region of about 300mv but im no expert, i have been considering ozone myself but was always afraid i would kill everything in my tank. in your opinion is it worth it?? what is the chance of killing everything in the tank?

4. Trev

Trev

closer to 400 would be about right

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

I think the time period I am running it is too short to increase the Redox reading. Also by injecting it in with the bubbles inside the skimmer helps it to have the best air contact time. And if the O3 bounds with any other chemical, they are already in the right place to be removed.

So I'm at the moment running O3 more for the water clearing capabilities than increasing the Redox potential.

Just be carefully, not all skimmer bodies can handle O3. Ensure yours can before you do the same.

In my opinion, it works. My water is clear as can be. And the clearer the water the more light penetration you will get. Even when looking sideways lengthwise through the tank (1.5m). Another MASA member, Paul Bloem was there on Friday night. And he was quite surprised that only the T5 unit was on. And the globes are already 6 months old and it is a stupid unit with single reflector.

Will post a pic tonight.

But still, my question. Could there be a redox reading difference daytime and nighttime? What is the acceptable variances. Highest I ever got was 253.

6. RiaanP

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/redox.htm

7. Trev

Trev

[

But still, my question. Could there be a redox reading difference daytime and nighttime? What is the acceptable variances. Highest I ever got was 253.[/QUOTE]

Shaw I dont have any clue but will be interesting to find out

8. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yes orp is generaly lower during the day and higher at night.

Also it is not good to have ozone running on a timer or controlled stop start as your system gets bursts of ozone. Will give more thoughts tonight.

Last edited: 27 May 2010
  9. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

10. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup that SG article along with the RHF ones sum up most of what i had to say.

The worrying issue and consideration in my opinion is how does the average aquarist measure and know the dose of ozone. Ozone raises ORP so a Redox meter is an indicator but true Ozone dosing should be done by measuring the AOD.

Further reading on water quality. Have fun. But read the Aiken and Smith articals

http://www.aqualitysymposium.org/abstracts.php

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

This is the presentation i am referring to in the above link.

Safe and Effective Application of Ozone Via Applied Dose, Redox Potential and Husbandry Techniques

12. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

After reading it again i paused on the info(by SG) below....i dont know how valuable it is for you.

So finally, we come to the nitty gritty. The vast majority of people utilising Ozone are doing so to simply get extremely clear water, and effectively maximise the amount light entering the tank. How much is required.? well this is where I'll surprise many and go completely 'against manufacturers recommended doses, in that I've found a dose of only 10-20mg/hr for just two hours per day just after lights on is normally 'more' than enough to keep crystal clear water on a heavily stocked 200gall(750litres) system quite easily.

It is advised not to dose during lights off.....
    A REDOX reading of between 350 - 450 is an indication of a balance between oxidisers and reducers i.e neither is out of wack.
    It also states that a reading of below 250 should be avoided and also a reading above 450. You read 190.....it could be an isolated reading, not a consistent reading over a period of time.
    Is your probe properly calibrated and monitor as well?
    Recalibrate your probe regularly, give it time to stabilise after installation, and keep it away from other electrical apparatus that might interfere and affect the reading.
    I hope i make sense to you.

13. RiaanP

Thank you NJ.

I measured my ORP in the display. It is 90. does that sounds right? It is just over 3 hours after lights out.

I'm taking the ORP meter to be tested tomorrow at a LFS

What is the ORP on RO water?

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

ORP in RO water will vary depending on the bacterial activity in the RO water. NO you cannot check/calibrate the ORP meter/probe with RO water.

Did you not get calibration fluid with the gauge/controller?

15. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

90...Doesnt sound correct....you must calibrate the probe, also allow it to settle in. Also keep it away from other electrical interferences.

16. RiaanP

That is my idea SchyffS.

Will change my schedule, will change it tomorrow to one hour when the lights do go on.

Yes, I think my ORB meter is out of whack.

At the moment, just for a test, I put the O3 airline on the venturi of a old style powerhead in my empty quarantine tank. Just want to see what will happen. Fine bubbles everywhere and I can actually smell some O3. Not good for the long run, but it is just a short test.

17. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

Rather wait till the probe is calibrated before using that ozoniser. You might overdose not knowing what the REDOX reading is.
    Im very interested in your findings regards the calibration.

18. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Riaan i agree with schyffs. Short test no good bud. It may end up costing $$$$ in medical bills for you and family.

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Here is an extract from the Aquatronica ORP interface manual.

Suggestions for an accurate oxidation reduction potential reading​
    Precise Redox readings depend greatly on proper maintenance of the connected probe.
    Beyond its intrinsic qualities, how the probe is cared for is particularly important. This will,
    in fact, provide reliable readings. Below is a list of some simple suggestions for optimum​
    ORP readings in aquariums:
    - Handle the electrode with care.​
    - Leave the probe in the aquarium for 4-7 days before calibrating it or carrying out any
    programs.​
    - Never leave the probe out of the water; if not used, store it in a pH7 buffer solution (never​
    store the probe in distilled or reverse osmosis water).
    - Periodically wash the probe with tap water to eliminate any deposits.
    To keep the electrode working properly, clean it using the special Aquatronica solution.
    Periodically calibrate the instrument (approximately every month as indicated to previous
    pages) to correct any reading imperfections due to probe wear.​
    - Never use calibration solutions that have been left open or have expired.​
    - Replace the probe at least once a year.​
    - Do not install the interface in contact with wet or damp parts.
    - Do not immerse the electrode completely in water. The cable’s seam must always be
    approximately 2 cm above the water.​
    IMPORTANT

20. RiaanP

Well, it is outside, and an empty 60L tank. So its safe. And I saw you concerns too late.

In the 45 minutes it pushed the ORP up from 90 to 133. Need to get it calibrated to be 100% sure. But at least I know the O3 does increase the ORP value. And there is no lights on on the tank.

The ORP unit I got is a ORP-169D ORP/REDOX tester. It looks almost like a TDS meter.
    http://www.kelilong.com/images/KL-169D1.jpg

21. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

emm, that looks dodgy :)
    Does it come with instructions, i mean do you have to keep the pen in the water for a minimum of time to ensure an accurate reading? Can you compare your readings to a monitor+probe type of a buddy or LFS....after calibrating your pen type of course. Interesting pen type ORP measuring device, im not sure if that is marine "safe" 'accurate"...you know what i mean.

Recent Posts