1. henry888

henry888

In both my previous 2 marine tank I kept allot of oysters. They worked wonder with regards to cleaning the sump/water. Just dont think to eat them.... :lol:

It kept most of the baddies at bay, and took care of a lot of my nutrient problems....

I will see if i still have a photo or two....

What would your views be?

"Oysters are filter feeders, drawing water in over their gills through the beating of cilia. Suspended plankton and particles are trapped in the mucus of a gill, and from there are transported to the mouth, where they are eaten, digested and expelled as faeces or pseudofaeces. Oysters feed most actively at temperatures above 10 °C (50 °F). An oyster can filter up to 5 litres (1.3 US gal) of water per hour. Chesapeake Bay's once flourishing oyster population historically filtered excess nutrients from the estuary's entire water volume every three to four days. Today that would take nearly a year.[3] Excess sediment, nutrients, and algae can result in the eutrophication of a body of water. Oyster filtration can mitigate these pollutants." ---Wikipedia

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

interesting .... looking forward to more info and pics please

4. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

i have an oyster currently im my tank

5. FransSny

FransSny

Dallasg & myself also had a thread / discussion about this on the forum, I had some oysters in the overflow ....worked like a charm

6. henry888

henry888 Thread Starter

"Oysters consume nitrogen-containing compounds (nitrates and ammonia), removing them from the water.[4] Nitrogen compounds are important phytoplankton nutrients. Phytoplankton increase water turbidity. Limiting the amount of phytoplankton in the water improves water quality and other marine life by reducing competition for dissolved oxygen. Oysters feed on plankton, incidentally consuming nitrogen compounds as well. They then expel solid waste pellets which decompose into the atmosphere as nitrogen.[1] In Maryland, the Chesapeake Bay Program plans to use oysters to reduce the amount of nitrogen compounds entering the Chesapeake Bay by 19,000,000 pounds (8,600,000 kg) per year by 2010.[5]"

7. Pugsly

Pugsly

Interesting - so where does one buy these oysters?
    Can they be in the DT under the water or must they have air too?

8. finch

finch

so if you have a DSB full of life, and they spawn copepods etc. would the oysters chow this up as well? i ask because i plan to keep some live feeding corals that feed off of the DSB life. will oysters compete with my coral?

9. henry888

henry888 Thread Starter

No... they are filter feeders, so most of your dsb should be more than safe. They don't require much, o2 and some water flow... ;)

10. Loki

Loki cable tie ninja

ocean basket here i come...

11. FransSny

FransSny

Just remember the most oysters we get in fishmongers are coldwater

12. magman

magman

I thought about this in my overflow area, also what about a few small muscles. I had millions in my LR, I know they can release a poisen if stressed, but a few in a big systems overflow can only do good.

13. maj

maj

so which oysters can we use?

14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

sounds like a great idea, but why is it not already common if its soo good?

15. henry888

henry888 Thread Starter

Japanese oyster Crassostrea, C. tulipa or rhizophorea, but you will have to acclimatize it to tropical water, especially the Japanese one... ;)

16. Moolis Moolman

Moolis Moolman Pet Stop SA Sponsor

why is it not already common if its soo good?
    My question as well.

Looking with interest into future feedback on success/failure of this + info on how to adapt them SUCCESSFULLY from 12 C to 25 C

17. Adee

Adee

Interesting, Henry can you also please post a thread of you complete setup and how these oysters are "plumbed" into your set up?

I also thought oysters were all cold water animals....would clams not do the same job?

18. Warr7207

Warr7207

Although filter feeders, clams use very small amounts of Nitrogen compounds in their symbiotic algae production process. They are light feeders, which I would think oysters are not.

19. Raven

Raven

Ok - where can we get these?
    Would love to get some for my tank...

20. henry888

henry888 Thread Starter

I found min at 7seas Fisheries, near Cresta Shopping Center Jhb. They have a wide selection, and their not bad in price, ranging from R8 to about R13. Depend on what size and species. But research the different types, before you go, so you know what you are looking for. ;-)

21. Warr7207

Warr7207

Are you saying they actually know the different species and can ID them for you ?

Recent Posts