Oxygen within the aquarium

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 26 Nov 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi guys...

I need your thoughts and input on this please...

Due to my very heavy feeding requirements, I am opting to "cut" off flow throughout the tank (return pump switched off) at the time I am feeding.

Now you must take into consideration that I will be feeding from about 16h00 right throught to about 07h00 am.

Now in this time, the tank will only have it's circulation pumps on, but my concern is oxygen levels. The fish will all be "sleeping" mostly in this timeframe, but they still use up oxygen.

The refuge and DSB should be fine, as it has cheato that produces oxygen, but should I be concerned about oxygen in the DT?

Should I maybe **hate saying this as it is a dreaded subject** add an airstone to the tank???

Maybe get a little scuba diver on an airline...:p **joke...

Your thoughts please.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hi Jaco,

as long as the water surface of the DT is aggitated the gas exchange should be fine, i aim a power head up make some ripples

4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yeah, that I have, quite a large amount of ripples in fact... My powerheads are also aimed upwards. But would that be enought?

5. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Should be ok without additional air, but you will have to take the temperature also in consideration. Warmer the water, the less oxygen in tank. If you really have/want to add more oxygen, place the airstone in your return chamber of your sump. That way the oxygenated water will travel quicker to the DT.

6. SumthingFishy

SumthingFishy

Oops, just remembered now in your post your return pump will be switched off.
    Try to use a powerhead with an attached air pipe in your DT. Does not have to be a big pump, 400ltr/hr should be fine.

7. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agreed, as long as the surface water of your tank is agitated then gaseous exchange will occur and your water will be oxygenated. I would also recommend placing a heater in the display tank during this time (if you haven't done so already).

You could run an airstone if you want, nothing wrong with it, it's just the salt creep that will occur from the bubbles bursting on the surface of the water, plus bubbles apparently can harm fish if they get into their gills and also corals can experience die-off if bubbles get trapped underneath them.

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

stopping using lack of oxygen as an excuse for having a scuba diver on an airline.

9. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

Jaco I feed the same way what I add to the DT is my little that uses a wooden airstone & put the skimmer on while return is off. The skimmer is small & does not take too much food away from DT but at least the oxygen level is ok [​IMG]

10. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

11. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Yes, now in summer temps are no problem, but I would have to sort out some heat during winter...

Thanks for the input, I will then go and buy my scuba steve!!!

12. Sentari

Sentari

Doesnt this effect the PH also?

13. viper357

Yes, if the oxygen content in the water is low then the ph will drop.

14. Sentari

Sentari

cool so my thinking was correct.

Jaco just a little more info to help you! :)

15. Drk

Drk

I think go for the treasure chest like in nemo. Do you have a yellow tang he will love it. lol :):):)

16. hypn

hypn

Nice reply Viper, I am experiencing the very problem for the past two days and spent hours on the net - Ph Low, Temp - High fish breathing stressed = low oxygen

I was going to invest in PH stabilizer but it seemed that the solution lied elsewhere. Need to check the forum more often:thumbup:

17. viper357

Yes, temperature also plays a part in the amount of oxygen in the water, for example a lower water temperature of say 25/26 Celsius will contain more oxygen than a higher temperature of say 28 Celsius, that is another reason why you need to start stressing when your temps creep up during summer, oxygen levels start dropping and if your tank is overstocked then it can cause problems.

18. hypn

hypn

I see a reason to buy yet another larger tank ;)

Recent Posts