Own stupidity causes high nitrates.

Discussion in 'Boyu TL450 and TL550 advice' started by Mc, 10 Dec 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

I just thought I would post this here so somebody doesn't do the same stupid thing I did.:p I have a boyu TL550 thats been running for about 4 months and the nitrates have been quite low but in the last month I noticed them climbing quite quickly up to 40ppm and my corals weren't looking happy. I found the reason the other day, because I have been putting filter floss in the back on top of the sponge and changing it twice a week I thought the sponge would be fairly clean so I didn't take it out because its quite tight, well when I took it out the other day it was disgusting, now this may seem pretty obvious to you but it wasn't to me so I just thought I would share this so that nobody else would make this mistake.;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Been there...done that...:p..A person concentrates so much on the Filter Floss and totally forgets that the Sponge also needs to be cleaned...I left mine as that is where my Bacteria is and didn't want to mess with that...little did I know that there is 2...:p..bottom one "houses" my Bacteria and the top one I clean...eventually changed to a Canister Filter as the compartments at the back are just so difficult to work with...

4. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Well done for finding the problem.

5. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks luckily I found it before anything died.
    Belinda I was thinking the same thing about the sponge holding the bacteria.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you can clean these sponges regularly if you soak rinse them out in some tank water.. as the bacteria will remain intack.. i would recomend alternating the sponges washing intervals :)

but good find and its often the very little things we overlook that are the problem..

another tick on the list to "experienced reefer" for you

7. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

This is the main reason i dont put any physical removal of waste before the skimmer, IMO all biological filtration should come after the skimmer.

8. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

The problem is this tank doesn't really allow for that.

9. Manic

Manic Moderator

The standard items the boyu comes with need to be thrown away. I removed everything in the back compartment and just left the heater, return pump and filled the rest with live rock. Every now and then I put some filter floss in the first compartment and took it out after 2 days.

10. SlumiesBoi

SlumiesBoi

Thanks for sharing

11. salty dog

salty dog

Yes' well done for finding the problem. I had a small tank once and it took me weeks to figure out that my high nitrates were due to some filter floss that stayed behind under the filter floss I kept changing. :)

12. belindamotion

It would have been nice to have had a Post like you'rs when I found myself with high Nitrates...:blush:..The headaches I had trying to figure out "why" and the more I asked the more everyone told me I had shit Filtration..then not to even mention the Bio Balls and Ceramic Rings...:p With everyone telling me my Filtration was no good, I ended up getting the External Canister Filter...

Now...:005:..YOU can't beat this...:lol:..I removed Bio Balls and Ceramic Rings and replaced it with Live Rock Rumble and removed my Sponges and replaced them with the Canister Filter...ALL IN ONE GO...:eek:..:eek:..:eek:..:eek:..:eek: No one said anything about "gradual" and nowhere did I read it...:blush:..To this day I still do not know how I managed to do no harm...I just happened to overhear a conversation in a LFS about the "gradual" changing...:blush:

13. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

:lol: Yeah that sounds like a bit of a disaster, but how else do we learn.

14. belindamotion

Yeah I know...:(..but WOW...it could have been at the expense of my Fishy's...:eek:

Recent Posts