Overseas Shipping

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Have any of you ordered equipment from overseas on the Internet?

Can you share your experiences, good and bad and also name which sites you bought from. I find it very difficult to find websites willing to ship to South Africa. I was looking to buy some hydor koralia pumps and am having a bit of a hard time to find somebody that will ship them over.

I know of 2 sites so far

www.sewatec.de
www.seame.com - free shipping if you spend more than 75 euro's

Would it help to ship them via the UK? (i.e. me) then i could post them on to you?

dude unless you have an on line shop or own a company you are gonna battle

tell them you will collect - phone DHL Globan Freight Forwarding - you pay them upfront, they pick up and deliver to your door

tell them you will collect - phone DHL Globan Freight Forwarding - you pay them upfront, they pick up and deliver to your door

I though of that but how does it work with customs and vat? Is the add on of shipping rate worth it?

DHL clears the package thru customs, vat, duty etc. theyt might slap you with a niiiiiiiiice 20% duty on it.

the duty they slap on though depends on what is in the box

hydor koralia pumps will be seen a high duty tech equipment. i had to pay 20% duty plus 14% vat on two MH globes i got as samples from OmegaSea...

DO NOT jippo the invoice - SARS WILL GET YOU.... i have seen this many times while waiting for my documents at the airport where they start opening up pallets of cargo with the guys that is recieving the goods there. If they dont like what they see they start a whole infestigation into every single shipment you have ever or will ever bring into SA>

I just want to buy one little pump and get it posted over here.

Thanks for the offer wee-man, my family is in the UK so I normally use them. I was just interested to see how many people (hobbyists, not businesses) have successfully been able to get stuff delivered to SA.

they still have to say whats in the box when they mail it - you pay duties at the post office

hey dean.i bought some Tunnel Underground clothing from www.cafepress.com .was always happy with their service.thats a US site.

And you have to add the huge cost of shipping on top of that, unfortunately that's the way it is if you want something that you can't get locally :(

also remember guys - you are only allowed to spend R20 000 out side of SA unless you are actually overseas - then it is R180 000.

If you do more than 20k you need to do a full SWIFT transfer... otherwise the Reserve bank will be on your case

You shouldnt have a problem buying off any E-comerce site for personal use. They will charge you a shipping price + the value of the item they send. When it gets here you pay VAT and whatever duty if applicable. Problems arise at customs when you try bring in items commercially on a regular basis. You need to be a registered company and be registered as an importer with SARS. I have purchased motocross gear online from the states and other goodies form Europe in my personal capacity with no hickups at all. I just get a slip in the post - go collect at the post office - pay the VAT and any duties due.

18 months or so back, I shipped in a pair of pumps with multicontroller from Sewatec. Shipping to a PO Box here resulted in absolutely no charges....not even vat??
It was well worthwhile at the time with the Euro at only around R7.00.Worked out I paid less than half the price wanted here. (Should have bought two lots!!)

Dean as far as I know there are no import duties on pumps, you only pay VAT at the PO.

Dean as far as I know there are no import duties on pumps, you only pay VAT at the PO.

this is true for pump parts so get them to strip the pumps and label pump parts :)

Back
Top Bottom