Overrated Skimmer,problem Y or N?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by JsPLAYn, 24 Mar 2011.

1. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

Ok, hey all. I recently purchased a xp5000int cone reef octopus skimmer rated for 2400litres.... My system is ±1200 litres....should I have a problem or not, all advice will be gladly appreciated.... Also if it is overrated,overskimmin, can I rum it 3 days a week, or must it be on everyday???? I'm lost,please help!!!! Thanks:blush:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

The skimmer will skim if there is something to skim. If there are only a little DOC's (dissolved organic carbon) then the skimmer wont have much to remove. If you are going to have a lot of fish and corals which will produce a lot of dissolved organics and if you are going to feed heavily, then I say the skimmer is fine. Leave the skimmer on permanently as you want to remove your DOC's as they form to keep your nutrients low

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Overrated can be a problem, yes.

You simply might not have enough DOC to create a proper foam head to fill the raising chamber. So it does not, or struggle to overflow into the collection cup.

It will take a couple of days to "break in" First days doing almost nothing. The fine oil like substance covering the body of the skimmer, especially the neck must first break down and be removed naturally. Then it will start to produce something.

check the type of impeller. Some of them, like the standard pump on a TS2, can not handle being switched off and on continuously. The blade part and magnet part are loose and hooks together on two small slots, and that strips eventually. If not sure, rather leave the skimmer on.

5. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Why is this question "Urgent"?

6. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@Tony ... Ok, yeah that's my plan, to stock heavy, want a busy tank. So I jus need to then be patient.. Thanks

@RiaanP .. Ok understandable, however I do get skimmate, not allot yet but only running since sunday, so yeah, prob need to wait to kick in,thanks

@AfricaOffroad .. Well my long tenticle plate coral died, so thort it was the overskimming, so I think this thread should be urgent for I may loose more if not informed correctly

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@Tony ... Ok, yeah that's my plan, to stock heavy, want a busy tank. So I jus need to then be patient.. Thanks

@RiaanP .. Ok understandable, however I do get skimmate, not allot yet but only running since sunday, so yeah, prob need to wait to kick in,thanks

@AfricaOffroad .. Well my long tenticle plate coral died, so thort it was the overskimming, so I think this thread should be urgent for I may loose more if not informed correctly

8. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Tony i thought DOC stood for Disolved Organic Compounds ... is it compounds or carbon?

9. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

That skimmer personally i think 100%

10. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

12. Quintonv

Quintonv

Bud my Long Tentacle Plate also died Last week. I highly doubt its your Skimmer.
    Maybe try running carbon in a reactor for a while

13. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

So as u guys can see, it is skimming enough to overflow into cup,

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@Quintonv .... I run carbon 24/7 in a reactor

15. Quintonv

Quintonv

Same this side

16. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Does amazing things to water clarity, but still the question, if not overskimmin, then wat?

17. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Agree with what Tony has said 100%. I cant believe that the fear of overskimming is still around, i can assure you it wont be a problem with that skimmer.

18. Tony

Tony

In the articles I have read they refer DOC's to dissolved organic carbon like the article posted on MASA about the bacteria counts and carbon dosing. MAybe someone more qualified can clarify

19. KevinR

KevinR

I also have the same problem. I have a SRO 3000 int and it is rated for 1200l I am currently running it on about 300l with a very lightly stocked tank and there is not much coming out. I have been obsessing that there is something wrong with the skimmer because my much smaller deltec was pulling out the gunk. I have a new 800l tank and will be using my current tank for a sump so it should be close to 1000l and I will be stocking more. That is the reason for the big skimmer.

So in my very limited experince it is a problem to have a skimmer that is way to big for the tank as it does not have enough DOC's to form proper foam so the stay in the tank until there is enough?

20. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Thanks Alan, relieves allot of stress, cause I'm the type, buy 1st then ask questions afterwards, an skimmer was pricey, so I'm always glad 2 hear I didn make a mistake

21. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

@KevinR... I get your point, so wat I do is, I skim wet then it shoves everything out, jus temp till I'm more heavilly stockes, good thing is my nitrite,nitrate an ammonia is constantly untraceable lol

Recent Posts