!! Overflow system !! I need good input from experienced tank builders.

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Schalkdk, 3 Apr 2010.

1. Schalkdk

Schalkdk

I have been wondering why you need to have an Original design overflow chamber; it just steals volume and gives nothing back in return, see below.

[​IMG]

Why not lengthen the pipe that should drain your normal overflow to the same height as your overflow chamber, and remove the chamber.

[​IMG]

Same system with minimal volume loss.

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

I am not sure, I have wondered the same thing a few times. My tank isn't drilled so I have had to go with a siphon based overflow, I was initially advised to used an overflow box inside my tank but ultimately used a pipe which does the very same thing - so for trying to understand why the volume loss being a requirement, I don't know. My initial thoughts would be for you to put some form of screen on the pipe to prevent unwated stuff going down, sort of cage the end if you know what I mean.

The more advanced/experienced guys will let you know the reasoning behind the box...I just added my thoughts

4. PeterL

PeterL

I like your drawings, what program are you using?

5. Pete

Pete

Schalkdk having a pipe inside the tank like that dont look very good IMO and the surface area that one would skim would not be that good once again my opinion, You should look around as there are so many different options for overflow. You can use a coast to coast overflow or have a look at the Idol Marine overflow that is slimline and takes up minimal room. I would go through a couple of the guys threads on check out the different options

6. Ridwaan

Ridwaan

The main reason guys dont use the pipe as in your drawing above is the noise.that thing gonna gurgle like you cant believe...a box skims more of the water surface then the pipe.

7. PeterL

PeterL

I never gave the surface skimming any thought, big oversight on my part :whistling:

8. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Schalk - that's exactly how I have mine, BUT, I have a 50-mm "T"-at the top, which I cut in halve, to assist with the "surface skimming".....

9. toppdogg

toppdogg

sckalk have you got space on outside of tank if you do move box in first pic
    to outside and have glass guys put a cut away on side panel that is how i have mine works like a charm just my 2c

10. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

Hi Sorry for my delay.
    Zombie clam; I used Sketchup from Google for the drawings. (Is a bit Kak)
    I feel having an extra; over grown piece of glass in the inside or the out side of the tank is less pleasing than a piece of pipe that can be hidden with well-placed rocks.
    My experience is that pipes gurgle inside or out side of overflows. All the same.
    The surface skimming might have some grounds for a big tank. However, on my 220l tank it does not. The circumferences of a 50mm pipe is +/- 157.06mm (I might add a Cone on the top to add to this.) and my overflow would have been only 160mm wide. Therefore, instead of skimming only in a straight line I will be skimming from all directions.
    I do like the idea of the half T piece to add to the Skimming area. Thanks fro the Idea.

11. Manic

Manic Moderator

Recent Posts