Overflow skimmer bar?

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by erratiC, 15 Jul 2012.

1. erratiC

erratiC

Ok, so I stumbled on a Youtube vid of a guy using an overflow skimmer bar instead of the conventional box/corner/slimline/etc. style that I'm so used to seeing... having not seen this before, I thought I'd ask for some opinions. Has anybody seen this or know of any reason why there aren't more around? I was thinking you could even use a few 45deg elbows and make it look even better than using 4x 45deg elbows?

Have a look at the below vid (he's got a 2nd part where he addresses a couple concerns made by people commenting as well).

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Slimline overflow, that does not go all the way to the bottom, but just below the outlets, will be less visible.

Just wait for the algae to grow on the pipe and you would see how ugly it would be. Plus using 50mm PVC, it would be about 100mm from the back. Directly under the lights. Algae would love that and it will shade the back part of your rock stack.

Also on the return line, you need one little hard shell worm creature growing inside that check valve. That will keep it open just that little bit and you will have a flood.

So, even if it does look impressive, its not for me.

4. erratiC

erratiC Thread Starter

Thanks @RiaanP, helpful as always.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good to see there are different ways of doing the same thing.. but im loking the slimline overflows atm aswell.. they are very discreet...

Recent Posts