Overflow problem......Please help

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Lockes, 17 Jul 2010.

1. Lockes

Lockes

I have a new cube tank positioned in my living room, and the sump in the room behind it through a wall.

The tank has a center back overflow bottom drilled. I have then made a hole through the wall to the sump.

The problem is that the 50mm pipe that goes through the wall is then 80mm below the rim of the sump.

Can I use elbows to got up and over the side of the sump.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brettb2020

brettb2020

as long as the output of the pipe at the sump is significantly lower than the lip of you overflow then it should be fine.

however, bits of stuff may accumulate by the up-hill section. but with a 50mm pipe i cant think of anything that will block it.

4. FransSny

FransSny

Lockes if you use 45 deg elbows, it will be cool. Or I can bring my heatgun & bend the pipe to make the transition as smooth as possible

5. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

That is exactly what I am worried about....a detritus build up

I do have options. The sump is currently sitting on a double stand. It was originally too low so we added a stand underneath for the main stand to sit on top.

So if I drain the sump and remove it I can remove this bottom stand and situation solved. Problem is this is a BIG sump. Probably best option though

6. LifeAquatic

LifeAquatic

Could you cut a hole in the side of the sump and go in that way rather than up and over?

7. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

I can do that but risk it cracking the full side pane (1.4m) of the sump

8. Andreas

Andreas

I don't think a lot detritus will build up in the pipe. This obviously depends on the size of the return pipe as a bigger flow will flush out any build up in the pipe. What return pump have you got in mind?

9. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

I have a 50mm overflow and probably use a 3000l return

10. Andreas

Andreas

I don't think it will be an issue:)Give it a go and see how strong the flow is coming out of the overflow pipe. Is it 8cm or 80cm?

Last edited: 17 Jul 2010
  11. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

This may sound ridiculous but why do you not increase flow in the lower areas. If you have a smaller diameter pipe at the lower part and go back to the original size you should be able to 'Syphon' the heavy stuff out. This principle is often used in motor sport.

12. Lockes

Lockes Thread Starter

Andreas - 8cm from the bottom of the pipe.

Herkie - Please explain

13. Andreas

Andreas

Do I understand this correctly. Is the overflow pipe 8 cm lower than the top of the sump(highest piece of glass on the sump)? If this is the case, then it will definately not be a problem;)

Herkie has as a very interesting idea. The flow in the smaller diameter pipe will be a lot higher than the thicker pipe, thus the detritus will have a smaller chance of accumulating. The only issue I could possible see with this idea is that your drainage of the overflow will now also be dependant on the smaller pipe. I haven't tried out this concept, but it could possibly work for what you are trying to achieve;)

14. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Salt Creep

I don't scheme there will be a detritis build-up if you have enough flow. But if you are worried about that, and it is possible, use one of those u-tubes plumbers attach to drains. The ones with the screw-off lid underneath.:slayer:

15. Christo

Christo

There won't be any problem IMO With a 3000l return you will have more than enough flow to flush any build up!

16. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

IMHO, take the knock now, drain the sump and lower it as you said you could do, quick fixes during setup will only make you regret things in the future, rather take your time and have it done properly. Yes a blockage is unlikely but nothing is impossible an over eager hermit and some excess nori and blocking that pipe with a 90 deg bend would be possible. Increasing the flow through the sump in order to prevent a blockage in the pipe is not so cunning and may lead to other problems.... such as not processing the water properly, i personally believe the DT volume should pass through the sump about 3 to 4 times an hour, no more !

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes Why not.
    As long as the elbow loop is lower than the overflow in the tank it will work.

18. FransSny

FransSny

Lockes, if the stand is raised by the 20 cm we discussed on Friday & the sump lowered from the extra stand that should fix the problem ?

Recent Posts