Urgent help needed Overflow not flowing

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Fishcrazy, 2 Jan 2017.

1. Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

After 3 hours of struggling with the system I finally gave up.

This is my overflow system
    [​IMG]

I tried filling the breather pipe with water closing the opening going to the sump.. I had a similar problem once and this worked.. If there was a air bubble if would've been pushed out.... Needless to say.. It didn't work..

If there is a blockage how will I get it out?

Please help.. I'm at the point where I just want to 'store' the fish and coral at a FS and get rid of this stupid system

Thanks for any advice .. !!!!

2. Guest

3. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

Is the tank drilled at all? I can't see that it will work if you plumb like that over the side of the tank, and if it does, not sure it will start by itself again most times as you need a siphon, which that airhole breaks every time, plus with inlet facing upwards it will suck in air there.

4. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Not drilled. Inletmakes a U at the bottom and at the top another U over the tank side.. Then down and with a 90 degree bend into the sump.

It normally starts without a problem.. Sometimes I must suck the small bubbles out of the top U the get the siphon going

5. hotdog83

Ok, no idea how to work an overflow that is not completely gravity fed through a hole on side or bottom of tank. Maybe get tank drilled on side? It is really easy, takes about 10 minutes start to finish. Will solve all your issues.

6. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

My plan is to get a complete new tank. With effective overflow. This tank must just hang in till then...and that seems to be the problem now. :(

7. Dolphin

Dolphin

@Fishcrazy

I'm not sure, but likely it's those U's that's causing problems and the drain pipe.

For your next tank/overflow, consider the bean animal overflow design.

8. hotdog83

Can you close the airhole and suck on the side in the sump? Might create siphon if it is sealed from tank to sump.

9. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

I will try that... Sucking from the sump side. Closing the airhole. It is just very difficult gettinf to that pipe, but worth a try. Thanks

10. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Thats my plan.. And a emergency drain pipe too

11. Ally05

Ally05

@Fishcrazy not sure if this might help but search for "The King of DIY, Joey" on YouTube. He made a mode for this type of overflow. No bends in the tank. Basically vertical down into the tank with a larger pipe around it creating the overflow. If I got the time later I will try find the link.

Hope this helps

Last edited: 3 Jan 2017
  12. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The T outside, controls the water inside the overflow pipe. Too low, and you will have a long drop down the first pipe, which will lead to air bubbles being pulled around the first bend. Those air bubbles would then accumulate at the top. Eventually breaking the siphon. The outside T must be higher.

Add another drilled hole on top of the overflow with a valve, where it goes over the tank. Or even better, replace one of the elbows with another T piece. But with the top end blanked off with a female end cap. That would give you a bit more space to allow air to accumulate without breaking the siphon. You can either manually use that new valve to suck out the air bubbles with your mouth until the flow starts. But first pout down water on the outside to fill the outer lower portion with the valve open, else you will suck air forever. Again a higher outside T piece would help. Once the air is removed the siphon should run.

To ensure that no air build up happens that will break the siphon at 2 in the morning. You can add an old style powerhead that got a venturi attachment. use piece of 6mm flexible air line hose to continuously suck out the air bubble as it enters. Disadvantage is that you will always get these burst of micro bubbles into the display. But each burst is just another show that the siphon is still going. If using clear air line hose, shield it from the light as algae will grow inside eventually blocking it. 6mm garden micro irrigation pipe works just as well.

13. Ally05

Ally05

@Fishcrazy did you come right? I think the one in the video is much simpler, less to go wrong. He does stress the ratio between the two pipes though.

14. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

I think I will try that today.. The downpipe is a 20mm. Will a 40mm be ok for the outerpipe?

15. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

This is on the inside bend
    [​IMG]

And this is at the back connected with a T. There is a hole at the top.
    [​IMG]
    Last night I removed the end cap and filled it up with water to push air out. It didn't work.
    Must I still drill another hole?

16. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

When you filled it up with water, was the valve on the over the top bend open? to allow air out, Basically being able to fill the outside bottom loop up with water all the way to the T-piece?

How high in relation to water level is the outside T-Piece?

17. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

I was sucking on the valve. It is a oneway valve. The water was also going down the inlet pipe. The bottom end of the inlet pipe was blocked. I was trying the fill the whole pipe with water and so pushing out the air.

The T is almost inline with the bottom of the tank.
    Do you think that the other option of removing the first U in the tenk will work?

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Raise the T piece higher. Being so low and you will struggle.
    The first U inside the tank is not the problem.

19. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

So if I dismantle the whole thing and raise it higher it will work? How high must it be in comparison with the water line?

20. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

So I don't need to do this?

21. OP
    Fishcrazy

Fishcrazy

Huge problem! I can't remove the system. It is all behind the tank and the tank is against a wall. I checked now again. There is no room for movement. I'm so screwed!

Recent Posts