Overflow media

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Nism0, 14 Mar 2012.

1. Nism0

Nism0

Hi people of MASA,

My tank has a corner overflow which has some media in it but as I purchased the tank already running, i am not too sure whether it should stay there.

The media is a layer of filter floss on top of ceramic rings. Due to the setup of the tank and the cupboard standing next to it, i can no longer see into the side of the tank, nor can I easily reach into the overflow without removing the hood and lights.
    The sump has a skimmer, followed by DSB and Cheato Ball (size of an orange), followed by Phosban reactor and return.

At the moment the water flows down the media into a hole to the sump. I would like to remove the media (over a period of about 4 weeks) and install a Durso Stand Pipe, but I am affraid that i cause havoc in the tank.

My thinking is to include a ATS in the sump but i will have to redo the plumbing so i figure why not just include a durso as well.

So basically i would like to know if i should skip the Durso and keep the rings, or put in a durso and chuck the rings?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Removing those rings will be better for you in the end anyway. The waterfall sound will drive you crazy before you fit your Durso.

4. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

Yeah, the sound is already quite annoying even with the filter floss and about a 200mm drop from the overflow. @RiaanP I have another problem though. When i let the tank run normally, the waterlevel rises and sits level with the top cross bracing. This creates 2 areas of water that never reach the overflow and the surface becomes nasty.

At the moment I have sorted this out with a powerhead aimed at the overflow to drive more water over and lower the water level to about 1cm below the bracing. (This cost me a blenny though as he was pushed into the overflow. Egg crate was promtly installed.)
    Does this mean my overflow is not wide enough? And how can i fix it? I have thought about adding a syphon or pump and even drilling a hole just below the water level. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Either overflow is not wide enough, or your return pump is too strong

But most likely you do not want to downgrade your return pump. But you can always T the return line, with one pipe going back directly to the skimmer.

How wide is your overflow?
    what is your return pump rating?

6. Nism0

Nism0 Thread Starter

@RiaanP

The main return is a Syncra 3.0 rated at 2700l/hr at 3m max. The one going through the chiller is rated at 1000 to 2000l/hr at 2.3m max.
    The oveflow is 185mm wide.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts