overflow box

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by frenchie, 15 May 2012.

1. frenchie

frenchie

Hi, please tell me if this will work. I have filled my overflow box with bio balls. In the box the water flows over then through the balls up a pipe and then just below the DT water level is the out let pipe into the sump below. Ive tried to attach a basic diagram. The box is one of the normal built in corner units. Secondly, Im cycling the tank at the moment and have added a tube worm rock which I picked up in a rock pool. All the criters are alive and well. Will they help with the cycle process.

Attached Files:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi wish I had a rock pool I could just go to lol but yeah i can't seem to open your sketch but from what it sounds like I would say ditch the bio balls and extra pipes or whatever is in there,have a simple clean "open" overflow and it will work better,the bio balls are just going to get clogged up with dirt very often and if you don't clean it very often you would probably have issues with water quality,but hopefully u will get other opinions here but yeah that's what I would do :)

4. frenchie

frenchie Thread Starter

I got rid of my b/balls in the sump aswell, just hoped I had some use for the damn things. Looks like Im going to be throwing them away. Wish the lovely people at the pet shop would tell me that I was wasting money.:cursing:

5. James Labuschagne

James Labuschagne

hows the noise from the overflow? does your overflow go into a sump?

6. frenchie

frenchie Thread Starter

It makes no noise at all and once its flowed through the b/balls it goes into the sump.

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

@frenchie maybe other experienced guys would say keep it in there,I just know that they collect a lot of crap and in a marine tank u don't want something that's collecting crap that u won't be prepared to clean or rinse very often.(Especially in the overflow box)..don't throw them away,hang onto them,having a tank u will need them for something one day..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts