Overflow Advice Needed

Reaction score
Hi, :swim:
Looking for a solution for my overflow, I have back up power for my return pump to the tank (this is my back up for flow in the tank ect in case of power outages so no harm comes to the contents of my tank-main reason as well is how the tank is, it was my best option between the wave makers and the return pump on back-up power as when power comes back on the over flow wont start up by itself :whistling:) but need to insure (touch wood it has never happened) that the over flow never stops especially if we go away.

Overflow works on a suction basically, I have read up on Google of people using a 'dosing pump' for this but this is not available in SA according to numerous aquatic shops I've been too.
Any suggestions or experience on this?

I have something similar to this on my tank. I have had outages and no issue when starting up again. As long as the "U" pipe is sitting lower than the gravity feed mouth. Water will remain in the "U" pipe as long as there is no airlock and it must be water tight. not sure what your setup is exactly but this works for me.

overflow.jpg

Ok thanks, mine is similar except that the siphon tube is made from glass
so will check that the tubing is sealed off properly.

Would you not have better peace of mind (especially when going away) if you drill a hole in the tank for the overflow? It takes literally 5 minutes to drill a hole once you reduced water level enough.

Would you not have better peace of mind (especially when going away) if you drill a hole in the tank for the overflow? It takes literally 5 minutes to drill a hole once you reduced water level enough.

I have never drilled into glass before so I'm afraid I might crack it?

If you can get a diamond drill bit and a spray bottle of water, you just drill with the diamond drill bit while spraying water on the glass to keep it cool. Worst I've done in drilling probably 10 holes is that I pressed too hard at the end and chipped the glass a little, but never did the glass crack.

One also needs to make sure that it is not toughened glass. Mine is unfortunately and if you try and drill it it will shatter. I also dont know if I would take the chance on a tank which has water in it. I don't like tempting fate.

For me tempting faith would be to have a siphon overflow and go away for a few days. :tt2: I drilled a small hole in sump this past weekend to fit the float valve for top up and took 10 minutes with a 12v battery drill and diamond drill piece. Can you not get a proper overflow box if you don't want to drill?

I hear you and agree. This method was my only option besides getting a proper overflow. The design I used works on exactly the same principal as a proper overflow box. Since the day I got the air out and created the siphon it has never failed me and I have never needed to clear any airlock again.

I stay in Midrand so power outages are a regular occurrence in the middle of the night and i think it has proven itself quite nicely.

Just to add that should the siphon break at any time and the return pump is till pumping then it will just pump my sump chamber empty which is not that large so wont make a big difference in the water level. I tested this to make sure. The return pump would also cut out and stop pumping should it find that there is no more water to prevent damage to the pump.

Last edited:
I hear you and agree. This method was my only option besides getting a proper overflow. The design I used works on exactly the same principal as a proper overflow box. Since the day I got the air out and created the siphon it has never failed me and I have never needed to clear any airlock again.

Yes, I think your design is good, but @Delton needs to either build something similar or get an overflow box, a normal siphon overflow is a recipe for disaster.

I have something similar to this on my tank. I have had outages and no issue when starting up again. As long as the "U" pipe is sitting lower than the gravity feed mouth. Water will remain in the "U" pipe as long as there is no airlock and it must be water tight. not sure what your setup is exactly but this works for me.

overflow.jpg

Thanks guys, will review my setup and see what the best option is. At the moment it would be to add an 'internal box' as that's the only
difference I can see between mine and the diagram shown upbove

Thanks guys, will review my setup and see what the best option is. At the moment it would be to add an 'internal box' as that's the only
difference I can see between mine and the diagram shown upbove
If you don't have the internal box then the siphon will continue until the siphon breaks. Depending on where that level is, it could be disastrous.

Back
Top Bottom