Overfeeding for 4 days...

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Elrond, 15 Feb 2011.

1. Elrond

Elrond

Guys,

Lets not get into the details of WHY my tank was overfed for 4 days and instead concerntrate on how to fix it. :thumbup:

Somebody was tank-sitting and put in 4 x the frozen food amount I usually do daily. :eek:

What can I do to clear what will end up being some sort of cycle? So far I've dosed with stability and turned my skimmer up. I intend to do a 15% water change today and didn't feed the tank yesterday (and dont intend to today).

Anything else?

Any clue how long the after effects would last?

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tony

Tony

Add some fresh carbon and filter floss to trap the food. You can add a clarifier to help clear the water as well as some bacteria to help with the added bioload. Allow your skimmer to skim a little wetter and you can add a tiny amount and I mean the very tip of a teaspoon of potassium permangeanate to the beginning of your sump. PP is an oxidiser which will help break down the food and get your skimmer into overdrive. If you have an Elos or Tropics Marin test kit with a spoon, use the very small spoon to measure the potassium

It should clear up after a day or so depending on how bad it is

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

just ensure that your reaction is not more harmful than the 4 days overfeeding.

It was short term, just 4 days, I would just up the skimmer a bit and if you have a phosphate reactor, use it. I would feed the fish today, although a bit less than the norm. And would stay away from frozen food for a couple of days. More than that, I would not bother.

Also depends on your CUC. How many hermits do you have? Are there bristle worms?

5. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

tony - there's no food floating around - I had a good look in the various sump chambers and in the DSB for leftovers...

RiaanP - I have a total of 6 hermits in the 700x700 display, 7 snails, 2 cleaner shrimps and I've spotted only 1 bristleworm...

ok, so generally I shouldn't panic?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

anyway, by the time you get home tonight, its too late to do anything about it. food already consumed or decomposed wherever its collected. Hermits had a feast. As well as other creatures coming out at night, like copepods and worms. If you got one worm, you got others, they are there.

7. Suhayl

Suhayl

Water changes everyday will help sort this problem out. Next time give specific instuctions on how much to feed. Skimming wet will help, hope you have a powerful one.

8. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Just to make you feel a little better about the CUC. I was sitting last night actually staring at a piece of live rock which had been cleaned recently by my one Urchin I have in my tank when I noticed so many copepods it actually shocked me. It looked almost like the rock was crawling with ants there were so many :)

My point is when the lights are out the cleaning crew really start cleaning and in a day or two all the left overs will be gone :thumbup:

9. Elrond

Elrond Thread Starter

Suhayl - next time I'm going to have video clips carefully explaining it on a infiinte repeat loop on a screen infront of the tank :p

Thanks guys... I've calmed down to a mild panic...

Recent Posts