Overdosing Po4 remover

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Mekaeel, 5 Oct 2008.

1. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hello Uncle Hennie :)

Is it possible to overdose granular phosphate remover? eg. Rowaphos recommends X amount of media for 1000l of water.

Reason i ask, if you look at the Zeovit method, tanks are taken to extremley low, to nutrient poor enviroments by eliminating phosphates and dosing of Bacteria etc...
    Now can the same/similar results be achieved by overdosing phosphate remover? eg. double or thriple the amount of Po4 media?

What are the side effects of overdosing? I do understand that with SPS corals(in my case) when very low nutrients, to nutrient poor enviroments are achieved it is important not to keep your Alk in the range of 6.5-8.5 DKH, else TN.

Thanks in advance
    Mekaeel

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Hi Mekaeel,

Yes, I think you could achieve very-low PO4 levels by using higher than recommended dosages of phosphate remover, but like everything else in our tanks I would try to keep it natural, and not drop the levels below that of NSW.... Your corals need phosphate to live, and although you can get them to colour up very nicely if the PO4 level is low, you do run the risk of starving the corals if you keep the levels abnormally low for a long time.

If you do want to try it I would suggest that you firstly get a very accurate phosphate measuring instrument, and, as with everything else, make the changes very slowly whilst measuring. Oh, and I would only use the iron-based type, and not the aluminium based products.

Let us know what happens, if you do decide to take the chance.

Hennie

4. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

So the Seachem one is out.

5. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

Excellent, thank you Hennie :) Keeping in mind i've started a very heavy feeding regime, about 5 times a day on a SPS dominated system.

Another question. Some guys change Phosphate media every month where as some change every 4-6 months.What would you recommend? My guess it all depends on the amount of phosphates that are being consumed (test kit required once again).Correct?

6. Reef Maniac

Correct :slayer:... and it will have to be a very accurate, reliable test kit, not one of the hobby-type colorimetric ones. Look at getting one of the Hanna photometers, if possible (and if you have lots of money :whistling: )

Hennie

7. George

George Sponsor

Hello Hennie

Not all Colorimetric Test for phosphate are unreliable because Tunze have a high sesitivity test for phosphate which measures in the range of 0.01-0.25mg/l P or 0.03-0.77 mg/l PO4 wich retails at about R 1300.00 for 100 tests so there are alternatives.
    The only draw back is that I only bring them in on special order as there are expiry dates. I think whoever uses it will be well satisfied.

George
    Tunze SA

8. Mekaeel

+- figure on the Photometer Hennie? I was thinking in the mean time Lamoete or Deltec. Those kits have the extra decimal value.
    I've tried the TM Po4 test kits, bloody waste.

9. Reef Maniac

Thanks for the info, George :thumbup:

Do you know if this kit can measure organic phosphate/phosphorus as well as inorganic (most test kits can only measure inorganic...)

Also, can you please tell us what the resolution and accuracy of this kit is. I think it's pretty important to have a high resolution (i.e. able to detect small level differences) and decent accuracy if one approaches the lower limits of natural sea water phosphate concentration (0.07ppm - 0.03ppm), as going too low will stress, and eventually kill, the corals in the tank. What I'm saying is that it won't be very helpful to have a kit that can measure down to 0.001ppm, if it only has a resolution of 0.1ppm, or an accuracy of 0.5ppm...

Hennie

10. Reef Maniac

11. Mekaeel

Thanks Hennie, out of my price range,will probably visit millepora :p

12. Reef Maniac

Or try the test kit George mentioned - Tunze has a very good reputation, and if their test kits are half as good as their pumps it might be worth it :)

Hennie

13. George

George Sponsor

As far as I know any oxygenated molecule is a eg PO4 is an organic one and the p stands for the inorganic thats why with this kit you can do iether or.
    These test kits are only ordered as required because of the expiry date.

George
    Tunze SA

14. Mekaeel

Thank you George. I will soon invest in one from you :)

15. Reef Maniac

As far as I know, most (all?) colorimetric test kits measure inorganic phosphorus, and not phosphate. To quote Dr. Randy Holmes-Farley:
    and...

On a different tack, has anyone ever heard of using Magnesium/manganese to adsorb phosphate? I recently came across this interesting abstract of a science paper:
    Hennie

16. Mekaeel

Thanks for the article Hennie. The last abstract took me 3 times to understand :p

Recent Posts