Over PE

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by ShaneW, 2 Oct 2007.

1. ShaneW

ShaneW

What would be the most likely cause for over PE?
    Most of my sps show extraordinary polyp extension, is this caused from insufficient lighting, lack of flow or maybe high nutrient levels?
    My hydnophora seems to have lost its colour, but its because of the extra PE that you can't see the colour on the skeleton.
    I know my lighting is not up to scratch and my nutrients are a bit high, just want to know which would cause this.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

I`d blame the lighting shane because if the coral was receiving most of its nutritional needs from the lights then it wouldn`t need to extend its polps as much so as to capture food.

4. Copperband

Copperband

nice thread, thanks Shane

5. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi all - I also have a Hydnophora.... Mine extends it's polyps quite far out for a SPS as well. AND MINE IS DIRECTLY UNDER MY 150watt Metal Halide (BLV).....

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

6. jacquesb

I also target feed my Hydnophora....... so - as to why the Polyps Extend so far??? Anyone want to take a guess? Perhaps it's normal?

7. ShaneW

ShaneW Thread Starter

Apparently they somewhere between sps and lps...
    But 2 of my friends have got a frag off the same colony, from regal, and they haven't got half as much PE as mine.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

im sure its the lighting.what lights are you burning and how far are the SPS from the bulbs?

9. jacquesb

Mekaeel/ShaneW:

Could this not perhaps be related to water flow? Perhaps the coral extends their polyps if the flow is strong enough to "catch" whatever food is in the water-column???

BTW: you should have seen how bad this poor coral was when I got it - it was busy dying (HAD RTN - a VERY bad case).... now it has COME BACK TO LIFE
    :)

10. ShaneW

ShaneW Thread Starter

Its about 30cm below 2 t5's... Thats why i thought it was insufficient lighting.
    I was also thinking it could be from not enough flow, as the other guys have got much more flow than me, and it blows the polyps quite hard so you can see more of the skeleton.

11. jacquesb

Hello ShaneW - I would suggest moving the Hydnophora MUCH high than 30cm below the T5's.... see, mine is about 10 cm below my metal halide..... BUT, I also have +-38000 litres per hour of water flow in my tank (2 x 15000 litre/hour ReSun power-head pumps, my return is +-1900 litre per hour, and I also have one 2000 litre per hour powerhead blowing water forward on the right hand side of my tank, and another 2100 litre per hour power head doing the same at the left hand side of my tank..... So - I have PLENTY of water flow....

I think that the water-flow might JUST be even more important than the lighting...

Do you have a close-up picture of where yours currently residing?

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

you might be right on that jaques.ive seen a tank that has very lttle water flow,probably like 5 times turnover and i noticed the polyps on the corlas reaching out for the sky

13. ShaneW

ShaneW Thread Starter

Its not as if I've got no flow... I've got about 30 times in display and about 15 times from my return.the flow is also nice and random.
    I do have a pic but i'm surfing on my phone as i'm on leave, will have to go into the office sometime and post it.

Recent Posts