Oveflow problem!!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bonzai, 23 May 2011.

1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Hi there

I have started my new custom built tank this weekend. Everything runs great. It's a 160L corner tank, that runs over a coast to coast down to a hole that is drilled into the side of the tank. The hole is 25mm wide. There it goes straight into an elbow that goes down to another elbow that directs the waterflow under the stand into another elbow that then leads down to the sump. (See the pic as illustration)
    [​IMG]

Now this is my problem. Somehow it's forming air pockets. The water runs great...(With a VERY noisy sound!!!). The water level fills up in the chamber where the pipe is connected, then all of a sudden it drops going through the pipes into the sump, then it fills up again and drops again.

Am I correct when I say it fills up until the weight overcomes the air pocket and goes down? The water runs down so quickly it actually makes a mess down by the sump of all the water that rushes down into the inlet chamber.

How can I fix this, so that it runs freely without air pockets?

Where are the air pockets forming in your opinion?

And if this is fixed, how can I get it to be less noisy?

By noisy I mean the sound of a flushing toilet, but just constantly.

Last edited: 23 May 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. akhannay

akhannay

just run a small airline through the big pipe thats free to the air at the top to break the vacuum that forms. almost like when you down a beer and put a straw out the side the entire beer just rushes out :thumbup:

Last edited: 23 May 2011
  4. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

But from where do I run it in the pipe? Where does the Air Pocket develop?

5. akhannay

akhannay

just try to get the pipe all the way through or as far as possible and wait (it needs to be open at the top) if there is still a noise then pull it out inch by inch. u will then find the sweet spot where the bubble or vacuum forms and the pressure will get realeased through the airline.

6. robertkukla

robertkukla

i would run the pipe from the first elbow

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Pipe used is too small, it will trap the air in the horizontal portion.
    Maybe try to use 45degree elbows, so that you do not have a horizontal portion.

8. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

I can't get 45 degree elbows for that pipe. It's the grey fittings. No one stocks them here...

What if I drill a hole into the top of the last elbow?

9. brentv

brentv

I agree with Riaan, (doesn't help you now!:tt2:) But for DIY builds I always like to do a 50mm hole!
    Can you get an axillary 25mm hole drilled above the other one, or is it too late?
    You don't want the 25mm to get blocked!!! Just a precaution;)

10. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Ok guys...help me out now.

Here's where I stand. The tank is standing in a corner. Just enough space between the tank and wall to get the pipe in and out...So drilling is out.

I know I've made a mistake on the 25mm pipe, or actually the builder did, he said because I'm not going to run alot of water through it, it would work fine...

Now I sit with a noisy non working tank. I'm thinking of chucking in 2 x Internal Filters behind the rocks so you dont see them and letting them do the filtering for me, and blocking off the hole....

...I'm so G#@vol to struggle with my things...:(

11. brentv

brentv

Bonzai, another way that could help with the sound... Bit of a bush mechanic style but if you get a 2L plastic coke bottle and cut the base off to the height requirement of your overflow and push the open neck (where you normally screw the lid on) into your pipe, might have to PVC it in... this will work:thumbup:
    Now do you have space to put a funnel device like this?

12. archiecrain

archiecrain

dont rush it now....you will be sorry later

13. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Ok...hmmm...I'm not completely with you now. Can you do a rough paint drawing?

The space between the overflow and the tank panel is 20mm at most. And remember the water flows over a coast to coast into the the glass chamber that goes down to the hole.

14. Tim S

Tim S

Hi Banzai, It sounds like the thin pipe is causing a resistnce to the waterflow. This then results in the water building up back into your overflow. After the air is out and there is enough head, a syphon action starts up causing the water in the thin pipe to "suck" the overflow dry draining it quickly just to have the process start over again. The best solution is to increase the drain line to 50mm. This will allow air and water in the same line and not back up or siphon. If this is not an option then a second hole or drain line to reduce the restiction. If this is not an option reduce the length of thin pipe as much as possible. So if you could increase the diametre of the drain line from just ouside the tank to a bigger size this will have the same effect. As for the noise, you have created a waterfall and the only way to silence it is to put something in that overflow box to break up the water while it falls downwards. I have used coral chips successfully before but it's difficult to get it out once inside.

My 2 cents.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Agree with Tim S,
    Increase the pipe diameter just outside the tank. As soon as possible. And use 45 degree 50mm PVC bends instead of 90 degree for second and third bend.

16. ashley100

ashley100

What Tim. S and Riaan say sounds to be the best advice. But what is the length of your coast to coast, and how fast does it fill up?

17. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

It's 700mm by 100mm deep. and it flows to the skinny chamber that goes down to the hole.

18. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Here's how the coast to coast connects

[​IMG]

19. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

I'm thinking of fixing it this way. By building a box, and glue it to the back panel over the hole. Will this work?
    [​IMG]

20. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nope, it will also be empty. But if you make it taller, and have the hole drilled at the side, higher up, then water level will be at the bottom end of the hole.

21. Bonzai

Bonzai Thread Starter

Like this?

[​IMG]

Recent Posts