"Out of interest" question..

Discussion in 'Invertebrates' started by belindamotion, 17 Nov 2012.

1. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

As most know, the Peppermint Shrimp seems to be scares lately...well, those who have an Aiptasia problem anyway.. knows this...:p..:005:

This has made me think about the one's we DO get..are they still "wild caught"...? And if so, could I ask why we are not looking into the "tank bred" Peppermints..?

I'm aware that they are more expensive, but are we not trying to move away from plundering our Oceans..? We are already moving forward with some "tank bred" Corals and Fishes, although this isn't many.. so why not Invertebrates..? Or are we looking into it...?...and maybe the Commercial fish farms are still too "new" to be able to supply the demand for them...?

Candy Cane (Lysmata uncicornis) ...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+3194&pcatid=3194

Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata seticaudata) ...
    [​IMG]
    http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+525+3190&pcatid=3190

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I fully support captive bred specimens, but also feel its a quick way for breeders to make more money. I know, I know the time and effort involved is huge, but what about the time and effort involved in catching, bagging and transporting, not to mention loss of stock, surely this will off set the price one pays for good quality and less deaths, and also saving our oceans. Eish, us human beings can really bleed something till there is nothing left.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

I bought 3 tank bred peppermint shrimp from @bryan a while back. He does get in a bit of captive bred fish as well. I bought a pair of captive bred clowns as well from him

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. belindamotion

belindamotion Thread Starter Google Master

That's great..so we do get tank breds...but WOW, why are we still struggling to lay our hands on them...Is our market to small to warrant importing them on a large scale..?..kudo's to you @bryan ...should have known you would have them..:thumbup:..:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

There are 81 species of captive bred species but there are a lot of export issues from the USA that makes the paperwork a little harder

But things are being improved all the time, if we can get the laws changed here we might get somewhere

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Captive bred shrimps is a lot of work. Cleaners takes 6 months before you can sell them. The amount of work and importing them will just make them more expensive than the wild caught ones.

8. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

yes time and cost are a big draw back, but with the advances from hobbyists it will get better
    like Tal Sweet and Matt Pederson have advanced this ten fold in a year

Recent Posts