Out of interest, how long will my tank last without power?

Reaction score
Until i've sorted out this power problem at the moment (goes of for 2 - 3 hours randomly - NOT load shedding)

I want to know what affect this should have on my tank?? And how long can it last before problems arise? I literally put a pipe in there today and blew some bubbles to try aerate the water!

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
It depends a lot on the bioload in your tank, but with an average bioload on an average tank, I think 4-5 hours will be ok before you need to start seriously worrying.

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Until i've sorted out this power problem at the moment (goes of for 2 - 3 hours randomly - NOT load shedding)

I want to know what affect this should have on my tank?? And how long can it last before problems arise? I literally put a pipe in there today and blew some bubbles to try aerate the water!
If you exhale through the straw you will only add CO2 you need a small battery powered air pump really

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Too many factors to hazard a guess, bio load and temp the tank gets to in that period. But normally the 2-3 hrs should not be a problem.

Reaction score
if you blow in to your tank you make things worse. humans exhale carbon dioxide - and thus you are lowering your ph.

Reaction score
I run activated carbon, that is all... Hmm

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry guys dont mix up carbon sources with carbon dioxide two different things.

Reaction score
Co2

Agree with Alan...

Also...

Yes. humans exhale CO2, but not only. We exhale a significant amount of O2 as well, think of CPR...

I also would not blow into my tank, as CO2 is more dissolvable in h20, and u are probably doing more harm.

To think about, its not so much the O2 u losing, its the nitrifying bacteria u losing, and hence the fish dying post power-cut due to hyperammonaemia (raised ammonia levels).

Cant we just get another power supplier, like CHINA?, i just love China

Reaction score
I wonder if those oxygen pills you get at the LFS is any good? I got a few for incase with my nano. But I'll go for a battery pump a bit later. Looks like Dory's has a nice cheap one at the moment.

Reaction score
I went one better than the batt powered airpump, get a backup power supply! Cost me R850 custom made, in a waterproof container. Supplies 150W for about 6 or 7 hours

Reaction score
was blowing on my tank when i didn't know what i was doing. I've now bought the backup power supply. PM me for more info

Reaction score
i got one of those battery powered air pumps - so far has run for 144 hours on 2 X D cell batteries - used it when i got inverts from Durbs twice. it is a resun i got at an LFS in durbs because i was colleting inverts.

Reaction score
I found a UPS at work, just finishing running test, got 4 and half hours running skimmer, 4 x powerheads and return. :thumbup:

So I am sorted, just need to think up an idea for winter's cold nights