our tank details

Discussion in 'New Members' started by David Chaikin, 11 Nov 2009.

1. David Chaikin

David Chaikin

I posted a pic under the title 'Chaikin's tank' but I don't know where it is!

We had a 4ft tank a few yrs ago and decided to start all over again after moving house. It's around 5 months that we have had this one going (we moved it from a friend/water and all). Have added a few things to it since. So far so good.

Anyway, somebody asked for tank details so in a blonde's lingo, here they are:
    1200 litre capacity
    metal halides and other
    a large protein skimmer
    a smaller protein skimmer (in case I overflow the large one!)
    A calcium 'thingie' reactor?
    A chiller 'thingie'
    Gauges with lots of info

Contents:
    Rabbitfish/Foxface
    Tangs x 3 blue
    Pair Bangai Cardinals (Have my first batch of babies -13 survived - which are now 1 month old):thumbup:
    Wrasse x 2 (cleaner & fairy)
    Goby/Blennie? (with a yellow head)
    A blue linkia starfish which I have not seen for 2 weeks
    Corals (don't know what they are but they are pretty):lol:
    Sand Anemone
    Other smaller anemones
    Butterfly fish x 1
    Clownfish (PERMANENTLY spawning but I don't know how to do the 'rotifier' thing to feed the larvae)
    Scissortail gobies x 3
    3 x cleaner shrimps
    2 x red shrimps
    Brittlestars
    Urchin

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Afsal

Afsal

pics!!!! and welcome to masa , im also in kzn and if u wana sell me 2 of those bangaais of swop for sum corals lemme kno

4. crispin

crispin

lol by the look of it you like the contents of the tank more than you do the 'thingies 'that make it work :)

that a lovely big tank id love to see the FTS (thats full tank shot) of it and a pic of the engine room :) Do you have live rock in there too? I am assuming you do.

if you get us some pics of the pretty corals we can help give them names for you :) (other than pretty green one at the back with long tentacles:)) But are they sps or lps or soft corals mainly?

it sounds like thats a fairly autoimated tank too, judging from ' guages with lots of info' is it run on aquatronica equipment?

sounds like a lovely list of live stock, and congrats on breeding those bagais out, very good achievement.

out of intrest those small annenones arent aptasia or glass anenomes are they??

5. David Chaikin

David Chaikin Thread Starter

Hi! I am up in Crestview area (nr Waterfall)... heard you should only get rid of the babies when they are about 4/5 months old? They are so small and will get munched by anything bigger, I believe. Hell it's a lot of work doing the brine shrimp thingie 4 x daily! Trying to wean them onto mashed frozen brine but they not interested yet.
    I am interested in getting more corals... we can chat when the babies are ready to go. My LPS retailing them for R295 but came in with a very poor offer.... I am in two minds... know they are endangered and would like to help that cause but at the same time I have put a lot of time and effort into rearing them...

Have applied to join this East Coast Club - still battling my way around this forum.... when is the next meeting and what time? Will they let me know? Have already copy and pasted the map in anticipation!
    Tried to upload a profile pic (the size requested), but it keeps telling me 'failed'.

6. crispin

crispin

dont worry, one of our hard working mods will help you with uplaoding pics soon i am sure:)

i believe that it really is hard work raising the fry, which makes your achievement that much more commendable. Just a small note, we talk of LPS as long polloped stony corrals and not local pet store. For pet stores we say LFS, which means local fish shop:) oh and most LFS are disliked by hobbyists due to the high cost of live stock and the very poor advice they give!

7. David Chaikin

David Chaikin Thread Starter

Hi Crispin! Wow, still battling my way around this forum.. my lovely camera packed up so I am down to the cell camera and our tank is viewable from 2 sides and thus I am getting a lot of reflection of light coming into the pics.
    You are getting too technical on me - LOL - have lots of rock.... nunu's come out of it at night so I presume it's 'live' - haha (I come alive at night - does that make me a nunu?) ha ha
    Nope, the smaller anemones are nice 'longish' brown tentacled thingies that love pieces of hake I chop up for them - definitely not aptasia or whatever those nuisance things are called. They don't breed and they stay in one place (more or less) and were sold by a reputable p.shop so I presume they not the nuisance ones and anyway, only two of them. Oh, and also have some other kind of anemone which is white with brown lines in it. Gosh, need to fix that camera....

8. crispin

crispin

hahaha when im accused of being technical then i know i'æm not spending enough time on my farm :) but let me explain LR a little for you, those night crawl.ing nunu's are great for your tank (called pods, and do a great job of cleaning the tank up for you....very valuable and are often a food source for many of your fish, so the more of them you have the better :)) But we refer to LR as being 'live' due to the amazing about of bacteria which lives inside the porous structure of the LR. its these bacteria that act as the 'lungs' of your system and help massivley in converting the nitrogen cycles in the tank. The better the quality of your LR the better the quality of your water and thus the easier it is to keep the tank :)

Recent Posts